The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CluelessJunk

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by CluelessJunk »

wandererfan wrote: 3) techno-babble: all views are presented with +Z pointing up whenever possible (+Y when projection direction is +/- Z). I believe the is the same behaviour as the 3D view. Is this wrong in general or just for ProjectionGroups? The math to spin the secondary views doesn't leap out at me, but it's early yet.
I think thats exactly the problem I tried to fix earlier. Unfortunately I didn't have time to look into it further. I think "+Z whenever possible" is already part of the problem. +Z has to be transformed with the viewOrientationMatrix instead of just using +Y when its the direction is aligned with Z. This is a problem for every Projection/Section view that has its orientation relative to the front view. My problem was accessing the viewOrientationMatrix in the correct places. IMO the vOM should be (easily) referenceable from every view object, that would make a lot of things much easier.

And its also kinda needed for arbitrarily rotated view directions. (Because what has +Z or +Y to do with your object where top points to 1/1/1).

I'm not a very good C++ coder, so I have troubles accessing the vOM from everywhere I need. If you (someone) can help there, I'll promise to finish arbitrarily rotated projections/sections including JaiseJames' problem this year ;-)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote:Thus they should all be aligned.
Yeah, you're right. Not sure how to do it yet. :cry:
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

CluelessJunk wrote:I think thats exactly the problem I tried to fix earlier. Unfortunately I didn't have time to look into it further. I think "+Z whenever possible" is already part of the problem. +Z has to be transformed with the viewOrientationMatrix instead of just using +Y when its the direction is aligned with Z. This is a problem for every Projection/Section view that has its orientation relative to the front view. My problem was accessing the viewOrientationMatrix in the correct places. IMO the vOM should be (easily) referenceable from every view object, that would make a lot of things much easier.

And its also kinda needed for arbitrarily rotated view directions. (Because what has +Z or +Y to do with your object where top points to 1/1/1).

I'm not a very good C++ coder, so I have troubles accessing the vOM from everywhere I need. If you (someone) can help there, I'll promise to finish arbitrarily rotated projections/sections including JaiseJames' problem this year ;-)
The ViewOrientationMatrix contained the sum of all the rotate transformations from all the button pushes in the ProjectionGroup dialog over the entire life of the Projection Group. If the Group was ever updated from a script, say, the VOM would not be updated. It really didn't have anything to do with Sections.

In any case, the VOM is history. It has been replaced by a Map that contains the ProjectionDirection of every secondary view based on the current front view. Lots of complex code replaced by some simple code.

ProjectionGroup is going to change to orient the rotation of the secondary view to match the primary's orientation (real unfolded box views).

If you're still keen to hone you C++ skills, I'm sure we can find something else for you to work on. The list is quite long!

wf
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Q for expert users: we have terminology overlap between the 3D view and the ProjectionGroup - both use Front,Top, Right,... to describe directions, but the Front view of a ProjectionGroup could be the Right view in 3D. Is there a standard way of distinguishing 3DFront from PGFront?

Thanks,
wf
Marco_T

Post by Marco_T »

wandererfan wrote:Q for expert users: we have terminology overlap between the 3D view and the ProjectionGroup - both use Front,Top, Right,... to describe directions, but the Front view of a ProjectionGroup could be the Right view in 3D. Is there a standard way of distinguishing 3DFront from PGFront?

Thanks,
wf
If useful:

in particular:
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01 ... 1.2001.pdf
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01 ... 2.2001.pdf
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01 ... 3.2001.pdf

in general:
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01/
CluelessJunk

Post by CluelessJunk »

wandererfan wrote:In any case, the VOM is history. It has been replaced by a Map that contains the ProjectionDirection of every secondary view based on the current front view. Lots of complex code replaced by some simple code.
Whaaaaat? I mean thinking in 4x4 (wouldn't 3x3 be enough?) transformation matrices is not everyones cup of tea, (clearly something I only think about when necessary) but the concept is IMO pretty simple. Properly implemented, there'd never have to be a test if direction is parallel to some axis or similar. And the "simple code" clearly doesn't properly rotate and project all cases yet.

Also, that Match 3D button; is that still planned to be implemented? Because I have no idea how to do that without applying a rotation to the entire projection group. And you said using the VOM isn't scriptable, I'd actually forbid to manually change most/all direction values and only do it with class methods that change the VOM and then update all the group directions.

But maybe Its me missing the bigger picture... I don't know. My goal wasn't hone my skills, but fix a problem I have.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Thanks, Marco.

The tl;dr version:

Code: Select all

Indian Drawing Standards
A refers to view from front 
B refers to view from above
C refers to view from the left
D refers to view from the right
E refers to view from below
F refers to view from rear

First Angle
   E
D  A  C  F
   B

Third Angle
      B
F* C  A  D
      E 

*never seen "view from rear" on lhs????

I'm ok with using A-F. Don't know what to call the 4 iso's - G,H,I,J?
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

I am using FreeCAD on Windows on a 32-bit system. I had trouble with fonts in the past, but osifont works quite well for me. The formerly used symbol was not round in osifont, so I asked to use the diameter sign and it works fine on windows for me. I see it correctly in the property editor and in the drawing page. I have osifont set in the preferences. What does not work, is the font name displayed in the property editor. There it says "Sans".

Ulrich

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.9019 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3374737c5ab9ba24b88cd164da4cf4afcb5425ff
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Marco_T

Post by Marco_T »

wandererfan wrote: Thanks, Marco.

The tl;dr version:

Code: Select all

Indian Drawing Standards
Well, to be precise, at page 5 I read:
"This Indian Standard (Part 2) which is identical with ISO 5456-2..."
then, are real ISO's.

ISO 128-30 is less specific:
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S01 ... 0.2006.pdf

I can't help you for other questions... sorry. Standards I know are only those...

--
Marco_T
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

ulrich1a wrote:What does not work, is the font name displayed in the property editor. There it says "Sans".
@ulrich1a
Try this, got to TechDraw2 prefs and with osifont set click apply, exit prefs, then exit FreeCAD. Restart FreeCAD, make a new drawing and osifont is the default in the property editor?
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9175 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 26e1a24060df702816e9561b8473bd3fb41825e2
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0

@wandererfan, do you wish us to split this to a different topic, or is it easier for you all in one place? The projections are more important IMHO.
Great Job and Thanks, this is for sure coming together :)
"fight the good fight"