The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by wandererfan »

sgrogan wrote:@wandererfan, do you wish us to split this to a different topic, or is it easier for you all in one place? The projections are more important IMHO.
I kind of like everything in 1 place, easier to find.

@ulrich1a is this where you're seeing "Sans"?
PropEdFontName.png
PropEdFontName.png (17.66 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
or is it in Preferences?
PrefsFontName.png
PrefsFontName.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
"Sans" is the default when I can't find the "LabelFont" entry in the config file (/Mod/TechDraw/Labels). Do you have an entry in config?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wandererfan wrote:@ulrich1a is this where you're seeing "Sans"?
Not ulrich1a but I get the first, until I use the workaround above. Changing to osifont in property editor works in the current document. After installing osifont, even with a fresh start of FreeCAD it is not found until after visiting prefs. The original not found osifont> default to Sans seems to be stuck. Cambria may be a better fall back but I have not yet tested on Ubuntu.
"fight the good fight"
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

sgrogan wrote:Not ulrich1a but I get the first, until I use the workaround above. Changing to osifont in property editor works in the current document. After installing osifont, even with a fresh start of FreeCAD it is not found until after visiting prefs. The original not found osifont> default to Sans seems to be stuck. Cambria may be a better fall back but I have not yet tested on Ubuntu.
I can't make this happen. Even trashed my config file while trying. Any more clues? Win vs Ubuntu?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

This is what I do:
Rename or delete .cfg files (onWin it's %appdata%/freecad/*.cfg)
Start FreeCAD, switch to Part WB, new document, insert default cylinder. Switch to TechDraw, insert default drawing page, select the cylinder in the tree and insert 2d projection, the default and top is enough. Create a diameter dimension. Its a square on the drawing.
In property editor change the font from Sans to osifont it's a diameter symbol.
If you close FreeCAD and repeat this procedure it's still Sans. If instead after switching to TechDraw I go to Edit > Preferences > TechDraw and click on the "Apply" button (osifont is indicated as the "Label Font") exit the dialog and exit FreeCAD.
Repeat the above and the diameter symbol is shown in the drawing page, osifont is indicated in the property editor, but format spec shows
osi.PNG
osi.PNG (2.97 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
cut and paste yields
⌀%value%
"fight the good fight"
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

sgrogan wrote:This is what I do:
Rename or delete .cfg files (onWin it's %appdata%/freecad/*.cfg)
Start FreeCAD, switch to Part WB, new document, insert default cylinder. Switch to TechDraw, insert default drawing page, select the cylinder in the tree and insert 2d projection, the default and top is enough. Create a diameter dimension. Its a square on the drawing. In property editor change the font from Sans to osifont it's a diameter symbol.
Renamed 2x cfg files, followed instructions, got phi in drawing and editor first time.
DiamBlankCfg.png
DiamBlankCfg.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
SansEditorNoConfig.png
SansEditorNoConfig.png (18.52 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Don't know where to go from here.

Newest version has a preference for DiameterSymbol so you can use one of the look-alikes from the Latin-1 character range if U+2300 doesn't work. A kludge, but better than a square.

wf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

wandererfan wrote:Newest version has a preference for DiameterSymbol so you can use one of the look-alikes from the Latin-1 character range if U+2300 doesn't work. A kludge, but better than a square.

wf
Sounds like a reasonable solution for now.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wandererfan wrote: Renamed 2x cfg files, followed instructions, got phi in drawing and editor first time.
But note in your screenshot that in Property editor the font is Sans not osifont. If you do the second part of my procedure, osifont will be displayed going forward.
On Win the square will still be displayed in "Format Spec". The same in the new pref, square is displayed for diameter symbol even though the diameter symbol will be displayed on the drawing. I guess because FreeCAD is using the default system font.
This surely works good enough for now.
As a by product a learned a trick for tolerance (alt + 01777)
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.69 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
Tol.PNG
Tol.PNG (3.96 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I noticed one issue on FreeCAD daily from the Ubuntu 16.04 PPA.

If i insert 2D projection of a 3D part and after i delete the Front View by selecting it in the drawing. The view itself won't be deleted (visually) but if selected after in the tree view FreeCAD will crash.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

triplus wrote:If i insert 2D projection of a 3D part and after i delete the Front View by selecting it in the drawing. The view itself won't be deleted (visually) but if selected after in the tree view FreeCAD will crash.
Yes, the Front (or Anchor) view really is not supposed to be deleted. It kind of holds the rest of the ProjectionGroup together.
The code is full of comments about the bad things that will happen if it is deleted. Need to block deletion or make the front item part of the parent group.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

wanderfan wrote:Yes, the Front (or Anchor) view really is not supposed to be deleted. It kind of holds the rest of the ProjectionGroup together.
The code is full of comments about the bad things that will happen if it is deleted. Need to block deletion or make the front item part of the parent group.
I would say highlight all projections and ask if it can all be deleted.. if yes all gone otherwise nothing deleted...