Proposal. Part mirror should not parent the original

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Proposal. Part mirror should not parent the original

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
When using Part Mirror, it is almost always that I want to use both mirrored and non-mirrored objects. So I think it makes sense for Part Mirror feature to not withdraw the object being mirrored from the top level of model tree, that is - behave more like Draft Clone.

That should be a very easy change of code. What do you think?
triplus
Veteran

Re: Proposal. Part mirror should not parent the original

Post by triplus »

I think i understand the question but what makes Part Mirror tool that different compared to other tools that would justify different behaviour?
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

triplus wrote:I think i understand the question but what makes Part Mirror tool that different compared to other tools that would justify different behaviour?
I agree with him.
Most of times I have used mirror + boolean join for keeping the two parts.

It could be interesting to have two options called "keep original" and "fuse", they will leave the operation tree cleaner.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

What you are proposing is to revert to the original behaviour prior to git commit ecc2816. There was a logic to this change but then some talk of reverting to the original behaviour, but noting was done.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6077&start=10#p48836
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote:What you are proposing is to revert to the original behaviour prior to git commit ecc2816. There was a logic to this change but then some talk of reverting to the original behaviour, but noting was done.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6077&start=10#p48836
Thanks for links, that was an interesting read.
Copying what others have said, Part Mirror is different from other Part tools in:
* the result does not contain the original shape (in the original place, so there is almost no overlapping)
* the tool does not hide the original, but almost every tool that parents the source shape hides it.

And it was clearly stated that the non-parenting behavior was annoying to some people.
So, if it is to be made non-parenting, it needs to be optional. At this point, it begins to require quite a bit of effort to do, so I think I'm not going to bother.

I also have thoughts on making mirror tool more feature-rich, but first I want to address Extrude.