Prevent automatic Workbench change to PartDesign?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nokian

Re: Prevent automatic Workbench change to PartDesign?

Post by nokian »

Switch to the "PartDesign" workbench manually.
In the ComboView the "Tasks" tab is selected by default and the model tree is hidden.
Now that's a thing someone should be able to change in the settings because the model tree is so important.

I unterstand the default setting and it makes sense to get used to the PartDesign Next workflow.
Later on you will probably want to get to the model tree first.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes this is i guess a general problem when implementing things that should in theory "help the end user". As with providing such behaviour things can easily go wrong. I am not against exploring such things and implementing them when it makes sense. But if i look at the trend i can already say providing for example pop-up windows to always guide the new and experienced user. And to introduce work flow that can work in just one way... That doesn't work for me compared to previous behaviour. Likely things won't change anytime soon but hopefully we can at least turn the trend around at some point in the future.
nokian

Post by nokian »

Too bad. I like the datum planes of PartDesignNext but have to stick to the Part workbench. In a far future these two will be combined maybe :)
When the new Assembly workbench is ready then it is the right time to look at PartDesignNext again.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

nokian wrote:I like the datum planes of PartDesignNext but have to stick to the Part workbench.
HACK!

Code: Select all

pl = App.ActiveDocument.addObject("PartDesign::Plane","Plane")
PartGui.AttachmentEditor.editAttachment(pl, take_selection= True)
Then, use Part->Attachment (don't double-click, as it causes a crash on OK)
:P

Of course, not recommended to general application, because it can break at any point, as any hack can.
nokian

Post by nokian »

Thanks @DeepSOIC!
Just created a macro out of your two lines.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Inability to use for example PartDesign Pocket tool directly on a combination of Part Box and Sketcher Circle makes me wonder if in the future tools like Part Pocket will be needed.

P.S. Hopefully not.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote:Inability to use for example PartDesign Pocket tool directly on a combination of Part Box and Sketcher Circle
In PartDesign you would create an additive Box feature instead of a Part Box.

Or, you could import your Part Box into a Body by selecting the Box, then creating a body. Then you can create a pocket. Although there's currently a bug: after creating the body, if you attempt to pocket the existing sketch, FreeCAD crashes. You need to detach the sketch first, then move it to the body, and remap it.
triplus wrote:makes me wonder if in the future tools like Part Pocket will be needed.

P.S. Hopefully not.
I don't see a need either, as I wrote above there are already alternatives, plus we have to remember that Pocket is a high-level feature (of course based on Part module like all PartDesign features) so it is unsuited to Part. FreeCAD is already getting criticism from newcomers on the fact there are so many apparent "duplicate" tools...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

In PartDesign you would create an additive Box feature instead of a Part Box.
I made Part Box and attached sketch on one of its faces and added Sketcher Circle to it. What is missing now is a way to add Pocket feature to it.
Or, you could import your Part Box into a Body by selecting the Box, then creating a body. Then you can create a pocket.
I don't need Body feature as i need Pocket feature.
I don't see a need either, as I wrote above there are already alternatives, plus we have to remember that Pocket is a high-level feature (of course based on Part module like all PartDesign features) so it is unsuited to Part.

Part based feature unsuited for Part geometry?
FreeCAD is already getting criticism from newcomers on the fact there are so many apparent "duplicate" tools...
Well obviously as now we will need additional Pocket tool for anything not PartDesign related. ;)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I try to be helpful and you throw it in my face. How typical.
triplus wrote:I don't need Body feature as i need Pocket feature.
If you need a pocket, then you are talking about a PartDesign work flow - this means starting with 0.17 you need to create a body. There is no discussion about this. Or do you want to discard all that has been done with PartDesignNext and go back to what it was? :roll:
triplus wrote:Part based feature unsuited for Part geometry?
Do you actually understand the difference between low level and high level functions?
triplus wrote:Well obviously as now we will need additional Pocket tool for anything not PartDesign related. ;)
If you want to use Part, then you use constructive solid geometry. That is, Booleans. You know Booleans, right?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

You can act smart once FreeCAD 0.17 will be out and frustrated users will start to emerge.

P.S. As for the rest yes current situation is not optimal and some changes will be needed in the future. Going back or going forward... I don't know yet but likely we will get there. After i guess a lot of discussion and work will be made before that.