10000 Members!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

10000 Members!

Post by chrisb »

With the registration of hxmuller the FreeCAD forum has reached 10000 members!
Thank you all developers of FreeCAD and contributors to this forum!
Chris
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: 10000 Members!

Post by NormandC »

Hi Chris,

It's an attractive number alright. But the active members count is a lot lower than that. When the FreeCAD project moved from Sourceforge back in 2012 (I think?), the forum's database was copied over. Back then, I think anyone who would register an account with SF would be automatically registered on FreeCAD or any other project. I think there are many thousands of accounts that have either never been truly active, or have not been active for years.

Sorry for raining on your parade, but the 10000 number is rather meaningless, see my edit below. But I do share your sentiment though, the community has never stopped growing. :)

The G+ FreeCAD Community even reached 3000 members last week.

EDIT: Did a quick check on the Members list, filtering it by number of posts. More than 4250 members have never created a topic nor replied to one. Quite many of them have website links, and didn't visit the forum after their registration. The conclusion is pretty obvious. I think a clean up would be a good idea. I can't believe most of those with websites are legitimately interested in FreeCAD, for example: memberlist.php?sk=d&sd=a&start=4200 (Unfortunately the spam filters only work when someone actually posts)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

NormandC wrote:More than 4250 members have never created a topic nor replied to one.
I should have added that it also means that 5750 people have posted at least once on the forum since 2009. That's huge! :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Considering essentially different questions the number of the one time posters would decrease significantly further ;) However, great forum!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Is there a download stats? Also this is a nice pointer :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Unfortunately Github doesn't provide an easy way to get download stats. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4338 ... for-a-repo

Sourceforge did have download statistics. Amazingly, thousands of people a week still download FreeCAD from there instead of Github. :roll: https://sourceforge.net/projects/free-c ... s/timeline
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

it__s_over_9000_.png
it__s_over_9000_.png (175.49 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
THIS PROJECT IS OVER 9000 COMMITS! :D
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

saso wrote: THIS PROJECT IS OVER 9000 COMMITS! :D
And these are not only fixes but new functionality too :mrgreen:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

saso wrote:THIS PROJECT IS OVER 9000 COMMITS! :D
Good one saso, I've been wanting to do that one forever and you beat me to it. :lol:

BTW the commit counter was set to zero when the source code was switched to Git. I'm not sure of the exact commit count right before the switch from SVN, but the last release based on it was 0.12.5284. So it means there's been more than 14,000 commits since the start of the project (unless the project was on a different revision control system before that?). That's pretty awesome. :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

BTW the commit counter was set to zero when the source code was switched to Git. I'm not sure of the exact commit count right before the switch from SVN, but the last release based on it was 0.12.5284.
For some time we used svn and git in parallel and copied changes back and forth. If I am not totally wrong then we started with svn commit 5000 to do this.
So, svn and git together have now a bit more than 14,000 commits. But before svn (since May 2006) we also used cvs for some time (maybe for 4-5 years or so). Unfortunately, for cvs it's nearly impossible to say how many commits it has been.