Cleaning up the Bug Tracker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Cleaning up the Bug Tracker

Post by Kunda1 »

EDIT: Help customize MantisBT to make bug triage easier with less overhead. See thread.

I was looking back at some older and recent tickets on the tracker and was hoping to help do some clean-up.
I've added tickets below that either haven't been tested or need further feedback.

Ongoing:

OCC bugs
Tickets need testing:

General FreeCAD

Sketcher
issue #2774 Can not select points in sketcher properly when changing viewangle (forum link)

Draft

Path

PartDesign

Patches
issue #2821 Patch for IDF Import of Step Models (forum link)

Distribution related tickets:
issue #1352 DOS line endings makes applying patches on Linux really hard (forum link)
issue #2738 Provide Hash source installation (forum thread)

Pending (Tagged as #pending on bugtracker)

Tickets that need merging
Tickets tagged #MacOSX

Closed
issue #927 (forum link)
issue #1576 Slow performance using trim tool (forum link)
issue #1738 Patch for IDF Import failure if STP file consists of multiple Objects (forum link)
issue #1832
issue #1898 (forum link)
issue #1924 Cutting (binary operation) fail (forum thread)
issue #1999 [STEP] Tessellation data or OpenInventor data memory leak (forum link)
issue #2006
issue #2008 (forum link)
issue #2125 (forum link)
issue #2131 (forum link)
issue #2132
issue #2147 Constraints rename key doesn't work on OS X (forum link)
issue #2183 Mesh View . Use Bounding-Box Not Working For Flat Lines (forum link)
issue #2228
issue #2271 FreeCAD documentation can't be loaded on Debian/Ubuntu (forum thread)
issue #2298 Excessive Memory Use with Skype Screen Sharing (Windows testers needed) (forum link)
issue #2303 404 from auto-generated Help > Automatic python modules documentation (forum link)
issue #2359 OpenSCAD import is broken by lack of support for hull() function (forum link)
issue #2411 Dragging inside tasks pane of combo view permanently steals mouse cursor from OS [Qt4&5 testers needed] (forum link)
issue #2469
issue #2494
issue #2540 Crash on startup (forum link)
issue #2549
issue #2616 (forum link)
issue #2679 Boolean operations in Part workbench give strange results (forum link)
issue #2726
issue #2727
issue #2739 (forum link)
issue #2741 Crashes when drawing tutorial (forum link)
issue #2792 Negative distances measured in feet/inch calculated incorrectly (forum link)
issue #2850: [PATH] Changed Tool parameters are not updated in operations (forum link)
issue #2816 Trimming tool crashes (forum link)

Migrating Drawing WB to TechDraw WB (Forum thread)

EDIT: This thread is edited often.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am, edited 68 times in total.
yorik
Founder

Re: Cleaning up the Bug Tracker

Post by yorik »

Thanks! Doing some cleaning on the tracker is really much appreciated. I've closed a couple of ones already.
Would you like to help with categorizing these bugs? I can upgrade your mantis account for additional power! :geek:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote:Thanks! Doing some cleaning on the tracker is really much appreciated. I've closed a couple of ones already.
Would you like to help with categorizing these bugs? I can upgrade your mantis account for additional power! :geek:
@yorik make it so...please :ugeek:
:lol:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Yorik
What do you think about implementing the bugtracking methodology that QGIS uses for their tracker Roadmap? Specifically it involves having 3 Categories on their roadmap that they assign Future bugs to. They are:
* Future Release - High Priority "Hopefully address in the next development cycle"
* Future Release - Lower Priority "Not optional, but not too important"
* Future Release - Nice to have "Optional"

It helps keep track of bugs that could go off the radar and shows other devs (hopefully by inspiring them) that said issues are acknowledged by the FC team.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok done! I turned you into a developer, I believe that gives you enough power to do everything that you need, in case it's insufficient tell me.
About the priority categorizing, I am not sure. Nobody assigns bug to anybody else in FreeCAD, it's each developer (99% Werner, basically :D ) who chooses which bug to attribute to himself (or herself hopefully some day). And each developer who attributes bug to himself will order the priorities as he sees fit. Mantis already has some structure for that.

So someone looking at the bugs, and deciding this bug is high priority, this not, etc... will have no effect at all I would say. And honestly I like it a lot this way, nobody is forced to anything, you do things as you want, when you want. Also, it is very rare that some new developer would come and pick an issue to solve on the tracker. Mostly, when someone new comes and produces code, that is all done through the forum, and doesn't even appear in the tracker.

It's true that our open bugs list is a bit huge, it would give a better impression if it weren't. I have to confess, often I look at a github project, and I see like "200 issues open" and I think "what a bunch of lazy pricks here!" :oops:

But it is probably much more a question of doing better triage and cleaning. If we would separate the feature requests from the bugs, for example, probably the problem would look much better handled...
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Kunda1 wrote:Tickets need testing:
issue #2742 No issue from my side with the file (I add a note on the bug)

issue #2303 confirmed

issue #1576 confirmed

issue #2774 confirmed but as you said, a bug, or made on purpose regarding the orientation of the sketch...and with 0.17 and the "map reversed" option, I don't think it's still valid

[bug]2679/bug] confirmed. but for me a classic boolean problem due to the vertex on the edge of the cube, and I guess due to OCCT, not Freecad
issue #2147Confirmed, but in OS X to rename such a thing you just have to push enter (renaming a file for instance) and it works just fine.
Last edited by nemesis on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@nemesis thanks!
Please do me a giant favor and notate the tickets directly to show your feedback. If you don't have time to, I will do that for you.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote:Ok done! I turned you into a developer, I believe that gives you enough power to do everything that you need, in case it's insufficient tell me.
About the priority categorizing, I am not sure. Nobody assigns bug to anybody else in FreeCAD, it's each developer (99% Werner, basically :D ) who chooses which bug to attribute to himself (or herself hopefully some day). And each developer who attributes bug to himself will order the priorities as he sees fit. Mantis already has some structure for that.
Thank you very much! Apologies, I realize I may have assigned a bug to someone who said they'd create a PR for a specific ticket. I need to look back and see. I won't do that again.
yorik wrote:So someone looking at the bugs, and deciding this bug is high priority, this not, etc... will have no effect at all I would say. And honestly I like it a lot this way, nobody is forced to anything, you do things as you want, when you want. Also, it is very rare that some new developer would come and pick an issue to solve on the tracker. Mostly, when someone new comes and produces code, that is all done through the forum, and doesn't even appear in the tracker.
yorik wrote:It's true that our open bugs list is a bit huge, it would give a better impression if it weren't. I have to confess, often I look at a github project, and I see like "200 issues open" and I think "what a bunch of lazy pricks here!" :oops:
:lol: you've uncovered an interesting internal bias for me here.
yorik wrote:But it is probably much more a question of doing better triage and cleaning. If we would separate the feature requests from the bugs, for example, probably the problem would look much better handled...
No, now I'm understanding better the kind of culture FC dev community has, thanks for elaborating. I see how that type of methodology that I was proposing above could turn a hobby in to a chore.
yorik wrote:I believe that gives you enough power to do everything that you need, in case it's insufficient tell me.
Come to think of it, I would ask you at some point if I could have access to MantisBT's ticket summary page. I have some experience with Mantis from volunteering over at the Scribus DTP project. I've been a bug triage volunteer with MantisBT admin privs, so I know my way around pretty good.
+ I could also clean up the MantisBT tag menu
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@yorik when you get a moment please take a look at the following:
issue #2846
issue #2847
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote:Thank you very much! Apologies, I realize I may have assigned a bug to someone who said they'd create a PR for a specific ticket. I need to look back and see. I won't do that again.
I think this was me. I'm not a developer so I can't assign tickets to myself. So please continue to assign PPA and Win build/deployment issues to me.
Thanks for all your work. It's great when someone comes to the project and rolls up their sleeves and gets their hands dirty. :D Your work will definitely make things easier when it comes release time.
"fight the good fight"