Shut-down of the entire FreeCAD web on 18.01.2017 morning for maintenance

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Shut-down of the entire FreeCAD web on 18.01.2017 morning for maintenance

Post by yorik »

Hi all,

Our whole freecadweb.org domain (website, wiki, tracker and forum) will be transferred to another server on next wednesday, january 18th, at 6AM central euro time. As a result, our whole universe will be shut down during about two hours. We need to place all web apps in read-only/maintenance mode before that. Since 06AM is 3 in the morning for me, and I don't plan to be awake at that time, I'll place all apps into readonly mode around midnight for me / 3AM euro time. So we'll basically have all the morning without access to our web tools.

The good thing is that this move will also allow us to have HTTPS support, the webhosting people will take care of that as well.
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Shut-down of the entire FreeCAD web on 18.01.2017 morning for maintenance

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote:Our whole freecadweb.org domain (website, wiki, tracker and forum)
IRC should still be available? In case of an unlikely catastrophic problem?
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote:IRC should still be available? In case of an unlikely catastrophic problem?
Yes. Only the website, wiki, tracker, forum and API docs are affected. IRC and git/github will still work.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Do you happen to know if you'll have mod-wsgi for Apache on the new web host?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote:
sgrogan wrote:IRC should still be available? In case of an unlikely catastrophic problem?
Yes. Only the website, wiki, tracker, forum and API docs are affected. IRC and git/github will still work.
Including https://gitter.im/FreeCAD/home as well
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

kkremitzki wrote:Do you happen to know if you'll have mod-wsgi for Apache on the new web host?
I don't know, unfortunately I have no control panel access. What is that mod for?
cox

Post by cox »

yorik wrote:As a result, our whole universe will be shut down during about two hours.
Guess there is nothing to do but ordering deep cryogenic sleep for the duration. :D

Good luck!
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In case of intense abstinence symptoms, call your nearest fablab
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

yorik wrote:
kkremitzki wrote:Do you happen to know if you'll have mod-wsgi for Apache on the new web host?
I don't know, unfortunately I have no control panel access. What is that mod for?
Basically, mod-wsgi is like mod-php for Python, an Apache module for running server-side Python. It allows for easy deployment of things like the Flask githook server I mentioned in this topic. It's even possible on locked down web hosts where you might have to deploy with .htaccess files instead of being able to edit the Apache config directly.

And actually, the more I look into it, mod-wsgi doesn't even need to be installed at the system level. As long as there's a Python interpreter available, you can bootstrap an application with that. But if it's a panel-only host without any shell access or Python interpreter, it's a no-go.
Last edited by kkremitzki on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Maybe it could be a good moment to switch from self signed certificate to https://letsencrypt.org/ ? The Linux Foundation is behind the project.