Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Post by ickby »

kkremitzki wrote:How will it work, applying as an umbrella organization? If this umbrella organization gets in, is there any guarantee that FreeCAD will get one of the student spots awarded?
Yes, if the org gets in we definitely get a slot. It is unclear how many slots the org will have overall, but dependend on application quality and mentor power will have even more students from the overall amount of slots. I think we currently can handle max. 2 students and thats what we are going for. But this is all fluid between the partner orgs, we are going to discuss this when the time has come.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Great news ickby! Thanks for doing some of the legwork to get this up-and-running. Cheers!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Just in case you guys did not yet found them, here are the GSoC manuals for students as well as mentors. Interesting read to learn how everything works and what to expect:

GSoC Manuals
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

And here we are, FreeCAD goes GSOC again:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 949180928/

Edit: I have seen that the brlcad guys did not update their wiki with the ideas list, they still have our last year's topics in. Could anyone please update that in their wiki? I'm on a smartphone right now.
http://brlcad.org/w/index.php?title=Goo ... D_Projects
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

ickby wrote:And here we are, FreeCAD goes GSOC again:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 949180928/

Edit: I have seen that the brlcad guys did not update their wiki with the ideas list, they still have our last year's topics in. Could anyone please update that in their wiki? I'm on a smartphone right now.
http://brlcad.org/w/index.php?title=Goo ... D_Projects
@ickby i tried to create an account on the wiki in order to update the page...no joy.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Updating the BRL-CAD wiki now.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Thanks for doing the change!
@ kkremitzki we should try to meet in IRC/gitter to start an discussion about the upcoming time. looking forward to it.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

ickby wrote:Thanks for doing the change!
@ kkremitzki we should try to meet in IRC/gitter to start an discussion about the upcoming time. looking forward to it.
Sounds good. Perhaps sometime this weekend or next week? I'd like to spend some more time researching now that FreeCAD is for sure in it, and that way I can come up with some good questions for my project proposal. I'm a bit of a night owl so morning meetings in Central European Time usually would work well.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I've been researching quite a bit about Elmer, and integrating it with FreeCAD seems really promising. For example I saw it supports 3D radiative heat transfer via raytracing. All I can see is some combination of that with Yorik's Arch Site SolarDiagram:
Freecad-solar-diagram.jpg
Freecad-solar-diagram.jpg (79.55 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Throw in some nurbs generated from some LIDAR point clouds of trees, oh man! :twisted: the possibility! You could couple in air convection and also make pretty dang useful models of greenhouse-type situations, too...
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Elmer is a great multiphysics solver. It might be really great to see it integrated within FreeCAD. I started to think about it since a couple of months and I must admit that the task is crazy crazy huge. This doesn't mean we shouldn't to it, but there is a lot of work. This includes meshing capability and UI. I think a student can pretty easily create the basement to generate Elmer input file, and get back VTK data's inside FreeCAD. But we shouldn't expect thermal response at building level before a year, due to some limitation into the Meshing capabilities that we support. I still need to make deep testing with Compound as an example. We need to have the capability to generate sub-meshes that share nodes at interface to properly compute heat exchange between solid and fluid. This is not hard to do, this is requiring time ;). The day we have it, FreeCAD will rocks on simulation and Fem will have made a massive step forward.

I still have a few things on my TODO list for 0.17 including OpenGL rendering improvement, and STEP file reader improvement (with IGES). When I will be done with that, I will restart working on FeM.