Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
ickby

Re: Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Postby ickby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Bernd and HoWil created a pretty detailled plan on how to tackle the Elmer integration (see wiki GSoC ideas list) and already have a studend who will work on this topic. So there will me some good groundwork be done this summer!
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm

ickby wrote:Bernd and HoWil created a pretty detailled plan on how to tackle the Elmer integration (see wiki GSoC ideas list) and already have a studend who will work on this topic. So there will me some good groundwork be done this summer!

Hmm, I've read the plans on the wiki, but if there's another student who will be applying for that work should I also consider a backup proposal?
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:57 pm

vejmarie wrote:I still need to make deep testing with Compound as an example. We need to have the capability to generate sub-meshes that share nodes at interface to properly compute heat exchange between solid and fluid. This is not hard to do, this is requiring time ;). The day we have it, FreeCAD will rocks on simulation and Fem will have made a massive step forward.

Definitely, I know there is still work to be done with multi-meshing, I was mostly just appreciating the long-term value of modeling in FreeCAD with Elmer. Another one I saw involves groundwater flow which would really need multi-mesh and is of great interest as well for my major of agricultural engineering.
ickby

Postby ickby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm

kkremitzki wrote:Hmm, I've read the plans on the wiki, but if there's another student who will be applying for that work should I also consider a backup proposal?

Yes, basically HoWil has a student at his university which he can mentor face2face and which he knows already since quite some time. I dont think there is a chance to get this proposal. But I'm free for mentoring you, and I'm pretty confident that we can find a good project! My interests can be read out of the ideas list (inlcuding priorietes) but own ideas are also welcome and can be discussed. Do you have time on saturday around 16.00UTC? Than a IRC/Gitter chat would be nice.
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 am

ickby wrote:
kkremitzki wrote:Hmm, I've read the plans on the wiki, but if there's another student who will be applying for that work should I also consider a backup proposal?

Yes, basically HoWil has a student at his university which he can mentor face2face and which he knows already since quite some time. I dont think there is a chance to get this proposal. But I'm free for mentoring you, and I'm pretty confident that we can find a good project! My interests can be read out of the ideas list (inlcuding priorietes) but own ideas are also welcome and can be discussed. Do you have time on saturday around 16.00UTC? Than a IRC/Gitter chat would be nice.

Sure, that time works. I was thinking the PartDesign project would be a good basis for my proposal because that work seems like it would also enable future progress on things like multi body dynamics and the kinematics workbench idea that's been discussed here.

Edit: isn't progress on assembly work also kinda blocked by PartDesign? Then it'd be even better to get cracking on.
ickby

Postby ickby » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Hello all GSoC Mentors,

As today the students proposal phase official starts it would be good if you all come into the BRLCAD GSoC group. For this you have been invited into the GSoCAx mailing list, where you find the following email with a mentor form:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_me ... 7DSlQVIJUk

Pleas efill out that form. If already done and you are not yet invited (that happend to me) please write in the GSoCax mailing list, I think the invite is then easily arranged. If you have not been invited to the list please write me a private message and I will arrange it.

Regards,
Stefan