Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Post by Kunda1 »

Google Summer of Code 2017 has officially begun! Organization applications open today, Thursday January 19 and are open through Thursday, February 9th. Please see our program site, official timeline and FAQ for more details.
Edit: Link to FreeCAD's Google Summer of Code page
Last edited by Kunda1 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ickby
Veteran

Re: Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Post by ickby »

Hello,

Due to the experiance of last years GSoC I'm a bit hessitent to go for it again this year. The time effort Yorik and I put in was substantial and the overall results a bit dissapointing, from both code produced and involvement of the student in FreeCAD after GSoC. We only had very few studends wanting to work on FreeCAD and once in you need to see it through, no matter who showed interest. Annother thing is that you need to provide multiple ideas for the studends, and not all are in my core interest of FreeCAD. Having already not enough time I can only support the efforts I'm involved in. Hence I decided this:

If there is a student interested in working with me/us during GSoC on PartDesign or FEM workbench (Postprocessing/Meshing) he should contact me either by PM or in this thread. If I'm convinced that there is a chance of a successfull campain (which I'm only if there have been non-trival code commits and community involvements already) I'm going to apply for GSoC to get the support for the student through this program.

So volunteers, one step forward! Time is precious.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I'm interested in doing the GSoC. Of the projects that were proposed last year, I think the one that'd be most suitable for my skillsets is the IPython (now Jupyter, really) Notebook integration, since I'm strongest in Python by far. I try to write only as much JavaScript as is necessary, but I'd say I'm familiar with it. My first language was C++ although that was a long time ago and I hardly use it now. I have been spending time familiarizing myself with the FreeCAD source for a while now, although I'm mostly working on a devops thing I think will help the project currently.

I'm a senior at Texas A&M which is C++-city, and my roommate actually took a Design & Analysis of Algorithms class with Stroustrup (my roommate's more of a C-family languages, Windows kind of guy) so I'll have plenty of local resources to bug besides y'all. :D

I won a scholarship from the Linux Foundation last summer and they wrote an article about me that might serve well as an introduction if you haven't seen me around the forums (I've been lurking since 2013 or so but just started posting):
https://www.linux.com/blog/2016-lift-sc ... pen-source

And for fair disclosure I am leading a team this summer for a robotics competition (which I'm going to be using FreeCAD for as much as possible, so there will be effort overlap) but I'm not taking any courses, so I will have the 40 hours/week availability the project requires.

I have more credentials to show upon request, of course, but this post is long enough as is. :lol:
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@kkremitzki Awesome!! Nice creds 8-)
I did a little preliminary research for you on the forum about IPython/Jupyter and found the following topics:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I have a really similar opinion as ickby. The whole GSOC idea, I believe, is much more to the benefit of the student, basically to make them learn about the open source way of doing things. How much the students actually help the project is not very relevant in GSOC. And it really takes a lot of your time, even us being two mentors for one student.

It was a very good and instructive experience, I had very little idea of how it worked, etc. But the benefit for FreeCAD is very small or even negative, considering the time you need to invest.

kkremitzki's candidature would of course be something to consider seriously ;)

One thing was good I think, is the collaboration with BRL CAD and the other CAD folks. I'd like to keep that going, in case BRL CAD wants to do the umbrella again. But the guy there sees GSOC very differently, he sees it as it should be seen, probably, more as an educational project. So he will advise us to take a student who is not necessarily the idea we are most interested in, but the one who has more chances to succeed in producing something.

In case BRL CAD doesn't propose to us again, we would need to do all the "paperwork" with google ourselves. I have no real wish to do it.

So I guess, the main question is: Is anyone interested in being a mentor?
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

How are the student selected? Could you select a specific one, one you know?
BR,
HoWil
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, it's the project mentors who choose. We only don't choose how many students we can have.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

so things get rolling again and I will get in contact with the BRL-CAD guys today, let's see what they are up to. Kkremitzki is interested and Bernd/Howil have a potential student, so we should keep the possibility up till things get more detailed.

@kkremitzki nice to hear your interest. The project you mentioned is a nice one, but currently unfortunately of less priority for me this year and I can't commit on this for mentoring. Would you be also interested in other topics, like the mentioned PartDesign / FEM topics? Of course they are mainly c++ with only small percentage python.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I think FEM would probably work out better than Part Design. I've taken a PDE course so I have an idea of the background involved, although it was much more heavy on Fourier analysis. In my machine design course, it was similar: make this part in Solidworks and use FEM to find the maximum von Mises stress and deflection. There was one chapter in the book and it was very introductory.

EDIT ickby: I'm sorry, I accendently hit "edit" instead of "quote" and now cant restore your posting. That is all that is left...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I think FEM would probably work out better than Part Design. I've taken a PDE course so I have an idea of the background involved, although it was much more heavy on Fourier analysis. In my machine design course, it was similar: make this part in Solidworks and use FEM to find the maximum von Mises stress and deflection. There was one chapter in the book and it was very introductory.
Nice to hear! In general it would be this idea, of course with a few changes, as some more work has been done already for this. I have quite a few ideas, and It would definitely involve creating a freecad python interface :) So I'm in holidays next weak and will be online from time to time, but let's keep in contact!