Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Today GSOC 2017 officially started (they're accepting Org applications)

Post by ickby »

Bernd and HoWil created a pretty detailled plan on how to tackle the Elmer integration (see wiki GSoC ideas list) and already have a studend who will work on this topic. So there will me some good groundwork be done this summer!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

ickby wrote:Bernd and HoWil created a pretty detailled plan on how to tackle the Elmer integration (see wiki GSoC ideas list) and already have a studend who will work on this topic. So there will me some good groundwork be done this summer!
Hmm, I've read the plans on the wiki, but if there's another student who will be applying for that work should I also consider a backup proposal?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

vejmarie wrote:I still need to make deep testing with Compound as an example. We need to have the capability to generate sub-meshes that share nodes at interface to properly compute heat exchange between solid and fluid. This is not hard to do, this is requiring time ;). The day we have it, FreeCAD will rocks on simulation and Fem will have made a massive step forward.
Definitely, I know there is still work to be done with multi-meshing, I was mostly just appreciating the long-term value of modeling in FreeCAD with Elmer. Another one I saw involves groundwater flow which would really need multi-mesh and is of great interest as well for my major of agricultural engineering.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

kkremitzki wrote: Hmm, I've read the plans on the wiki, but if there's another student who will be applying for that work should I also consider a backup proposal?
Yes, basically HoWil has a student at his university which he can mentor face2face and which he knows already since quite some time. I dont think there is a chance to get this proposal. But I'm free for mentoring you, and I'm pretty confident that we can find a good project! My interests can be read out of the ideas list (inlcuding priorietes) but own ideas are also welcome and can be discussed. Do you have time on saturday around 16.00UTC? Than a IRC/Gitter chat would be nice.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

ickby wrote:
kkremitzki wrote: Hmm, I've read the plans on the wiki, but if there's another student who will be applying for that work should I also consider a backup proposal?
Yes, basically HoWil has a student at his university which he can mentor face2face and which he knows already since quite some time. I dont think there is a chance to get this proposal. But I'm free for mentoring you, and I'm pretty confident that we can find a good project! My interests can be read out of the ideas list (inlcuding priorietes) but own ideas are also welcome and can be discussed. Do you have time on saturday around 16.00UTC? Than a IRC/Gitter chat would be nice.
Sure, that time works. I was thinking the PartDesign project would be a good basis for my proposal because that work seems like it would also enable future progress on things like multi body dynamics and the kinematics workbench idea that's been discussed here.

Edit: isn't progress on assembly work also kinda blocked by PartDesign? Then it'd be even better to get cracking on.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello all GSoC Mentors,

As today the students proposal phase official starts it would be good if you all come into the BRLCAD GSoC group. For this you have been invited into the GSoCAx mailing list, where you find the following email with a mentor form:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_me ... 7DSlQVIJUk

Pleas efill out that form. If already done and you are not yet invited (that happend to me) please write in the GSoCax mailing list, I think the invite is then easily arranged. If you have not been invited to the list please write me a private message and I will arrange it.

Regards,
Stefan
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello Students,

from today there is one week left to apply for GSoC and make a project proposal. If you are interested to work with us and are not yet in detailled contact with a mentor I recommend to provide a poroposal for review as fast as possible now so that a draft version can be uploaded within the next days. For all the studends we are already in intensive contact with I also recommend to upload the proposal to GSoC in status draft withing the next days and make the final adjustments afterwards.

Regards,
Stefan
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello Students,

I like to remind everybody that tomorrow the proposal phase ends. Please make all sure that you set your proposals to final. If this is not done the proposal cannot be considered, Google wouldn't allow it!

Regards,
Stefan
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello Students,

thanks for all of your proposals, I'm very glad that we received so much high quality input from you. Now it is our turn, we are going to review all of your proposals and discuss about them. A desicion, which proposal is accepted, will be communicated by google on May 4. We are not allowed to give you any information before that date, so please stay patient.

I hope you all use that month to stay in the community, discuss with us and start digging into some code. Would be nice to have you all around here!

Regards,
Stefan
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello all,

we now officially selected the students and proposals we like to work with. As always this was a hard choice and needed some compromises. Google will announce the accepted proposals in roughly a week, at May 4 16:00 UTC.We are not allowed to share any information about that, so please no questions about the status. But feel free to stay engaged in the community and all mentors will be happy to answer questions about code and workflow even before the working time started!

Stay tuned everyone, exiting times ahead!