Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Post by jmaustpc »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: less than 24 hours and we have a total idiot new user who posted a first post help question to the forum rules topic AND still ignored the forum rules! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: what an idiot.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Revise the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" sticy topic?

Post by chrisb »

At least your post made me :lol: although the fact is between :cry: and :twisted: !
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is my proposal for the three most wanted answers:

Q. I exported my model to STL or DXF but all the holes are filled up and fillets are missing.
A. Don't select All or use Ctrl + A to export for 3D printing. You typically only need to select the last object at the bottom of the Model tree.

Q. The feature (Pad or Pocket) I added doesn't show.
A. Make sure that only the last element in the tree is visible. You can toggle visibility by selecting it in the tree and hitting the space bar. Invisible elements in the tree are greyed out.

Q. I want to export my model to DXF but the result is only 2D.
A. FreeCAD can export only 2D DXF. There are many other file formats FreeCAD can export to like STEP, STL, OBJ and many more. Check the program which you intend using the DXF if it can handle one of those formats.

To native english speakers:
You better revise this post! Or else see this: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p161977.
Joking aside: please have a look. I hope it isn't a problem that the questions are in fact statements, but I didn't want to add something like "What can I do?" or "Can you help me?" to every single question.
And of course we can change the topics themselves as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Regarding the questions occuring recently in the forum I would change the third question to:

Q: I have changed the position of my sketch but the change doesn't show up. The values switch always back when closing the dialog.
A: The position is controlled by the first sketch only. All other sketches are positioned by the face to which they are attached.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Chris, your post was a reminder that I had procrastinated long enough on this matter. :oops:

I updated the "Read first" topic according to the discussions here.

As for the 3 common questions, for now I decided to simply add a reply in the same topic, and to link to it.

Thanks to all who contributed! (I gave you a mention at the bottom of the rules post)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote:I updated the "Read first" topic according to the discussions here.
Thanks for taking time to do this!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thank you very much for finally putting it into effect. It is one thing to start and discuss things like that but it is something else to bring it to a successful end.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Thanks Norm, for the edit and for the nod.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote:Thanks Norm, for the edit and for the nod.
Although Willem had already given an answer I urgently had to do it: I linked an answer to the new top rated errors section :D .
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:
I updated the "Read first" topic according to the discussions here.
Thanks Norm and others, I'll lock the topic in a few days so you can have a chance to fix anything​ first if someone finds anything, let me know if you want it locked sooner.