Default contectual menu / workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Default contectual menu / workbench

Post by paullee »

Hi, i am exploring FC start from 0.16 (now 0.17 pre-release) for a few months.

I found the following might be more intuitive if the developers might find it worthwhile to tweak?

Everytime I create a new doc or open one, I try right-click on the model view window (any 'official' name?) and find nothing. After a while, I start realized I need to load a workbench then this menu comes up (may there is documentation but I may simply forgot or otherwise). Can any 'core' module (I am not sure Part? Arch? as I am working mostly on Arch, Sketcher, Draft) be loaded by default so that this menu is readily available?

Secondly, I start realizing the right-click menu on the Model Tab of Combo View would be *different* from right-click on the same object in the model view window. Again, I may have forgot the rationale mention in some documentation? Any reason not making them same?

The above, I hope it maybe areas that some tweak about it would be more intuitive for more peoples?

Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Default contectual menu / workbench

Post by chrisb »

You can define the startup workbench: Preferences->General->Auto load module after startup.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

chrisb wrote:You can define the startup workbench: Preferences->General->Auto load module after startup.
Thanks, that's useful!

However, for other new users, they might have experience similar confusion like I did. Maybe there is other better way to handle that other than configuring out the user preference...?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is a discussion on changing the start page here in the forum. I think Gui-Guru agryson was involved.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.