Offtopic: PSVR and 3d visualisation

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Brutha

Offtopic: PSVR and 3d visualisation

Post by Brutha »

Hi All,

I bought myself a Playstation VR last week, and have been really impressed with it: although the resolution is not that high, the smoothness and stability of the head tracking makes it really immersive compared to something like Google Cardboard.

It already works very well for displaying normal non-stereo 360 panoramas - stitched panos taken from my drone look really good! And it's also quite nice to pad non-360 panoramas from the iPhone.

I'd like to take it a stage further though: a month or two back, I took a FreeCAD model of my house and garage and put it into Blender. I then created a 360 stereoscopic "over n under" render, which I could view on google cardboard via an app called "Mobile VR station". It worked very nicely, but would love to do the same with PSVR.

I'm not expecting miracles here, Sony are known for being very "closed" with their hardware! But if anyone has had any success with using PSVR in this way, or for viewing proper 3d files, e.g. a .obj, I'd be very interested to hear about it!

Cheers

Brutha
fourchette

Re: Offtopic: PSVR and 3d visualisation

Post by fourchette »

hi Brutha,

Did you experience success watching your 3D models in PSVR ? or designing in PSVR ?

maybe a mix of Trinus PSVR => https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/trinus-psvr-help/
and the FreeCAD-VR workbench => https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7715

would together do the trick ?
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Hi,

Well, the best I managed was using an app called Littlstar on PS4 and PSVR. At the time this could only show 3d panoramic movies, so I made a movie of the still frame.

This loaded into Littlstar, and I could view the 360 3d panorama. The downside is that it's from a fixed viewpoint, so you can't move around; the upside is that it can take as long to render in Blender as you want, so you can have full photorealistic lighting for example.

I still had some issues with frame rates and file sizes, at some point someone from the company suggested they'd enable viewing of images as well as movies, but I didn't hear anything after that - maybe they've done it without publicising, but I never tested!

For me, Trinus won't work, since I am on Mac, would be interesting to experiment with if you are on PC though!

Sadly, I've never found any OBJ viewer for PSVR.

Cheers

Brutha
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Brutha wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:47 am
I'm not expecting miracles here, Sony are known for being very "closed" with their hardware! But if anyone has had any success with using PSVR in this way, or for viewing proper 3d files, e.g. a .obj, I'd be very interested to hear about it!
Hi,

Not sure if I should reply to a such old topic, but there are couple interesting things:
1. OpenHMD/Monado supports PSVR on Linux https://monado.freedesktop.org/position ... smove.html
2. You can use OpenHMD as a driver in SteamVR, or Monado as OpenXR runtime
3. Playstation 4 with firmware 7.55 or lower can run Linux, Steam and FreeCAD just fine