Most users online - yet another record!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Most users online - yet another record!

Post by yorik »

NormandC wrote:LOL I just spent the last half hour reading that blog's many posts. :?
I knew you would like it :)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

ickby wrote: think one reason for people turning to freecad is onshape being popular and getting people used to cad only to frustrate them with their latest free plan change. No private documents seemed to have pushed away quite some users.
Someone who posted the help forum not too long ago wrote that whatever online CAD service they were using was going to make his / her designs public! And I suspect that is in addition to whatever data they have mined from their users (it's puzzling to me why people nowadays don't seem to value their privacy). At least they value their ideas and creations.
sgrogan wrote:FreeCAD is better.
No doubt!
sgrogan wrote:I became aware just before 0.14 release. 3D-printing, Path, Fem all help. The audience is growing, when they tell 2 friends who tell 2 friends etc.
Some small percentage of these new users contribute. FreeCAD gets even better.
Agreed! (I started with 0.13.1828 ---> FreeCAD and our community has improved and grown substantially since then.)
NormandC wrote:Okay this is INSANE :lol:
I'll guess that before too long the record will be broken daily. When I posted in the other topic, I was guessing that an educator was teaching students about FreeCAD and maybe students went home and later were logged in at the same time. Not sure if that guess is so accurate now.
NormandC wrote:P.S. Thanks bejant, will update the table later.
You're welcome but you might want to wait off a bit because I noticed that after I log in the time stamps change now by 5 hours.
easyw-fc wrote:So may be also a quite part of the driven traffic is coming from KiCad users :)
Mauric
I agree because I think that people tend to need enclosures for their electronics. And thank you (from me as well) for the info you posted.
yorik wrote: knew you would like it
After I'm done here I'll read it myself..
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: To forum admins: are such statistics logged and recoverable?
Not a forum admin but I looked at the database and it's only stored once, i.e. each time the record is broken, the row storing the record is overwritten.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

yorik wrote:Autodesk subscription plan becoming more and more aggressive maybe?
I saw it coming ... next level in Autodesk policy ... (Partly) shutdown of 123D.com and focussing on TinkerCAD.
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

I do not like to sour the party, but perhaps this is because of GSOC?
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jnxd wrote:I do not like to sour the party, but perhaps this is because of GSOC?
Last year FC was in GSOC too, but the users didn't raise... probably the record is not related to GSOC or not only to ...
Anyway any increasing source is good for FC I think... :)
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

At least concerning hobbyists and people attending school/university i got the impression that during holidays (especially winter)
you find time to have a closer look at software ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is definitely a raise of interest about FreeCAD in engineering schools. More and more teachers looking at it, etc. This can have an exponential effect...
cnirbhay

Post by cnirbhay »

There is definitely a raise of interest about FreeCAD in engineering schools. More and more teachers looking at it, etc. This can have an exponential effect...
Exactly. :-)
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

Here is a list about monthly downloads of cad-programs form a German computer magazine. These are the downloads over the links they offer. FreeCAD is number one.
http://www.computerbild.de/download/Gra ... order=3000

Ulrich