PartDesign Feature Request: multi face sketch extrudes

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Feature Request: multi face sketch extrudes

Post by jmaustpc »

This is supposed to be a feature announcement topic/forum, if you want to discuss this or anything else go to an appropriate forum/topic, also avoid hyjacking topics like this.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

That's quite strange, because someone had split this topic off another one in feature announcemets, but probably forgot to move it to a different forum. I just moved it to open discussion.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote:also avoid hyjacking topics like this.
Thank you Jim!!!

And thanks DeepSOIC for moving it to Open discussion.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I did a few more user centric tests in PartDesign NEXT:
FacePadPocket.png
FacePadPocket.png (17.02 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
I am leaning towards the idea feature is already implemented? Sure the work flow is a bit different. But different software packages have different work flow to achieve the same thing. I added 3 sketches in a single Body and used Pad feature on each of them. You can after select any face on the result and use it as a basis to add Pad/Pocket feature. Neat!

Two limitations could be lifted in the future:

1.) Ability to create a face in PartDesign NEXT Body. Currently solids are mandatory? Sketches for example could be upgraded to faces. And that could be used as a basis. Like when the Draft Upgrade command is used. If individual face could be turned in subtractive face that would in addition be useful.

2.) Ability to multi-select faces and use them as Pad/Pocket feature basis. Currently you have to select one by one.
efyx

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote:Sure the work flow is a bit different. But different software packages have different work flow to achieve the same thing.
That's right, SW solve it easiest way, but NX is the most customizable including extruding only thin walls (no filling).
BTW. I think this is another cool thing which should be provided. Extruding open line - you could be able to define length of extrusion and thickness (outside/inside) basing on open shape.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

efyx wrote:Extruding open line - you could be able to define length of extrusion and thickness (outside/inside) basing on open shape.
See Arch Wall.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Hello efyx,
I tried to produce the requested (hopefully correctly understood) geometry, because I like the original idea/request. And I agree with triplus that something similar is already available.
I started with Draft-wb not with sketcher but it should be possible to transfer elments from draft to sketcher. Than I did a boolean-fragment in Part-Wb (Thanks to NormandC is this now available in standard 0.17 without compiling). and extruded each of the created faces to a certain hight.
See also my screencast:
fc.webm
(653.15 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Screenshot from 2017-03-10 13-09-31.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-10 13-09-31.png (407.92 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
BR,
HoWil

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10460 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 91c59c7910436c44ede608e29d9a90a287121a11
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
efyx

Post by efyx »

HoWil wrote:Hello efyx,
I tried to produce the requested (hopefully correctly understood)
Yes you get the idea. This is one of features, to extrude multiply from one sketch, but to achive that first you need to have right to choose area which you want to extrude. IMO it is really important to have it in Part Design Next.
DeepSOIC wrote:
Looks like wall works fine enough, we can leave it for now ;).
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

This feature looks nice, but I think that is better to have tools for round surfaces like Bezier curves or allow to set angles in loft.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Joyas wrote:This feature looks nice, but I think that is better to have tools for round surfaces like Bezier curves or allow to set angles in loft.
well, since b-splines are already in, we are out of luck for multi-zone extrusions :P :lol:

PS. I think it was shown that such feature can be useful. I even sometimes do something like this with assistance of Lattice, where I can explode a multi-profile sketch into individual profiles and extrude them as I like.