Proposal for GSoC'17

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Re: Proposal for GSoC'17

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote: A good proposal should show that you studied and understood these existing implementations, and propose something that reuses as much as possible what has already been done, and at the same time proposes something new.
Here is my draft proposal on Rebar Addon for FreeCAD:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12uL ... sp=sharing

Kindly review my proposal and give your valuable comments regarding the same.

Thank you,

Regards
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

I can't give you any feedback on the technical topics, but from a formal point of view your proposal looks very good. All important aspects have been taken into account.
It would be nice if you could upload your proposal to GSoC in Draft status. You will be able to further work on it and make changes as long as in draft, but it gets the workflow going and you will see if everything works out from the technical side.

Regards,
Stefan
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very good proposal! One thing I'm not sure, is it worth making a whole workbench only for one tool? But that can be debated later on.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:Very good proposal! One thing I'm not sure, is it worth making a whole workbench only for one tool? But that can be debated later on.
I was thinking that such a tool should be part of the ArchWB. I just read some of the proposal document link to above and it says in the "Brief Project Summary"
My project is to create a rebar addon for Arch Workbench of FreeCAD
So it would seem we all agree! :D
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote:Very good proposal! One thing I'm not sure, is it worth making a whole workbench only for one tool? But that can be debated later on.
As per mentioned in my proposal brief summary section, I am just making reinforcement tool for Arch workbench.
My project is to create a rebar addon for Arch Workbench of FreeCAD to ease up the process of creating reinforcement in structural element. The main purpose of this project is to enable the user to create reinforcement through an easy and intuitive way. For this proposal, I will be considering rebaring systems for rectangular footing, pedestal, column, beam and slab.
Amritpal Singh
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay I added some comments in your Draft.

Basically I think, what you are proposing is to redo from scratch a feature that already exists in freecad. Apart from the UI workflow that you propose, which is pretty good, I don't see well in your proposal how you plan to achieve something better than what we currently have, I'm talking about the rebar object itself, not the UI around it. About that part, I fully agree that the current rebar implementation lacks a lot.

So it seems to me that your UI proposal could actually be developed on top of our current rebar object? Maybe adding the ideas that Bernd presented above. So I think your proposal could maybe either be changed to work on topof the existing rebar object, or explain better how you plan to achieve something better at the object (App) level?
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote:Basically I think, what you are proposing is to redo from scratch a feature that already exists in freecad. Apart from the UI workflow that you propose, which is pretty good, I don't see well in your proposal how you plan to achieve something better than what we currently have, I'm talking about the rebar object itself, not the UI around it. About that part, I fully agree that the current rebar implementation lacks a lot.

So it seems to me that your UI proposal could actually be developed on top of our current rebar object? Maybe adding the ideas that Bernd presented above. So I think your proposal could maybe either be changed to work on top of the existing rebar object, or explain better how you plan to achieve something better at the object (App) level?
Hi Yorik,

Now, I have improved my proposal and reuse the existing implementation of reinforcement system in the FreeCAD (https://docs.google.com/document/d/12uL ... sp=sharing).

Here is the main implementation part of my proposal:
The inputs provided by user from rebar dialog box will be passed to our custom rebar function. This function will use the inputs to define the shape of rebar and in this function the sketcher object will be added to the FreeCAD active document which will hold the profile of the rebar by calculating coordinates of vertices and drawing the shape of rebar from user inputs.
Then this sketcher object and the selected structural object will pass to the prebuilt function of FreeCAD which will create the rebar. Below is the detailed description of that function.
makeRebar([baseobj,sketch,diameter,amount,offset,name]): Adds a reinforcement bar object to the given structural object, using the given sketch as profile.
Amritpal Singh
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I have read the proposal, one more remark from my side ...

more important as the nice gui is the data model. At the moment we use a sketch to save the shape of a rebar, but this only works for plane rebars. Lots of rebars are not plane, even simple ones. See viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16375#p129608 We need a data model to save all kind of rebar shapes. May be use a wire to save the shape.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

At the moment the current Rebar function indeed asks for a sketch. But I think it would work out of the box with any other (possibly non-planar) wire, since it uses makePipeShell which works fine with non-planar wires. I'll try that today.

The new version of Amritpal's proposal now makes use of the current Arch functionality and is a more purely GUI proposal, so it won't touch that part, I suppose.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote:The new version of Amritpal's proposal now makes use of the current Arch functionality and is a more purely GUI proposal, so it won't touch that part, I suppose.
I have uploaded my proposal on BRL-CAD wiki.
http://brlcad.org/wiki/User:Amritpal_si ... c_proposal
http://brlcad.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2017

Regards,
Amritpal Singh