I think the icons of freecad need to be redesigned

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: I think the icons of freecad need to be redesigned

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:Pablo i evaluated some of your past proposals. From geometry point of view you did a small but interesting change here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=18063

If you could provide corresponding SVG file i will open a feature request for alignment here:

https://github.com/agryson/FreeCAD/issues

Alexander hopefully will take the job.

P.S. After all that happens we can evaluate if we meet the requirements of FreeCAD logo challenge 2017 given the requirements and boundaries as outlined in this thread.
I don't know what sligh change you mean to, it was the same logo but with monochrome colors:
freecad_v01e.png
freecad_v01e.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
I have also done a new variation of the previous one, but I still prefer the one with the "circled F":
freecad_v01d.png
freecad_v01d.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
I have attached them both.
Attachments
freecad_v01e.svg
(6.76 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
freecad_v01d.svg
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:I don't know what sligh change you mean to, it was the same logo but with monochrome colors:
It's clogged in this area:
freecad_v01e.png
freecad_v01e.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
I have also done a new variation of the previous one, but I still prefer the one with the "circled F":
Yes the approach in the mentioned area from the second variation applied on the current logo.

P.S. As for other geometry changes proposals in the second variation. At the bottom of F you introduced small radius. Maybe a change like that could work on the current F. I guess a small tribute to spline advancements achieved in the FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle. That is if anybody would ask on why it was introduced. :lol: Everything else is likely too ambitious for the purpose of logo challenge 2017.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

triplus wrote:P.S. As for other geometry changes proposals in the second variation. At the bottom of F you introduced small radius. Maybe a change like that could work on the current F. I guess a small tribute to spline advancements achieved in the FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle. That is if anybody would ask on why it was introduced. :lol: Everything else is likely too ambitious for the purpose of logo challenge 2017.
A spline-powered ƒ could replace the F and the central + part of the ƒ could be mated closely to the gear teeth. It would also be nice because ƒ seems strongly associated with math, e.g. ƒ(x).
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

kkremitzki wrote:A spline-powered ƒ could replace the F and the central + part of the ƒ could be mated closely to the gear teeth. It would also be nice because ƒ seems strongly associated with math, e.g. ƒ(x).
I like the idea and if you would for example make a sketch on a piece of paper and attach the result in the logo challenge thread. That is what it is all about. Giving the tribute to the design effort and for the ideas to evolve properly. As for evaluating your proposal. What would likely happen is an average FreeCAD user wouldn't recognise the current F anymore when taking a quick look and the vote would end up being down.

P.S. You wouldn't believe me if i would try to explain to you on just how much effort it took to make the first logo design challenge a success story. And the effort invested before it. If Pablo does proposed geometry changes and they end up looking good. And after Alexander does the alignment. If the final result ends up looking good and is generally accepted as suitable. To give some perspective that would already be an improvement somewhere in between 200% to 300% (or more) compared to previous logo challenge. And some things would basically happen for the first time. Like designers investing continuous effort in FreeCAD and that effort to be proportionally reflected in the logo.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

kkremitzki wrote:
triplus wrote:P.S. As for other geometry changes proposals in the second variation. At the bottom of F you introduced small radius. Maybe a change like that could work on the current F. I guess a small tribute to spline advancements achieved in the FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle. That is if anybody would ask on why it was introduced. :lol: Everything else is likely too ambitious for the purpose of logo challenge 2017.
A spline-powered ƒ could replace the F and the central + part of the ƒ could be mated closely to the gear teeth. It would also be nice because ƒ seems strongly associated with math, e.g. ƒ(x).
I second this motion, except make the right end of the horizontal bar on the f the support for the gear's axis.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that i don't have problems with taking the revolutionary step. That is changing the logo or a piece of it beyond currently established geometry boundaries. I actually am hoping for such proposals to emerge. I am just trying to say getting such proposal through likely could end up taking a few years and a few annual logo design challenge events. ;)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Joining the bandwagon. Not really happy with the size of the gear or the size of the f. Hoping someone could help refine it.
freecad_spline_F_00.svg.png
freecad_spline_F_00.svg.png (4.11 KiB) Viewed 1959 times
Attachments
freecad_spline_F_00.svg
(7.01 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
cox

Post by cox »

DeepSOIC wrote:I like Pablo's icon!!
me to
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

I would like to make a new proposition.

I really wanted to create the impression, that the logo was coming from FreeCAD. Also, I wanted it simple and in the continuity of before. I realized that most of the free softwares have an animal in there logo, so I search a red and blue animal. The ara https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ara+en+vole&t ... &ia=images seems a good chose but too complex to create in FreeCAD. So, I though about improving just improving the current design with a better font and balance, but as said before, having a Latin character in a logo of a global software does not make sense.

So, I though about it and find this one. A central parallelepiped with two projection of faces, in an pseudo Isometric view, which create an heart shape. Please see images, FreeCAD v0.16 file ,and svg file attached, under CC-By. It's not perfect, a lot of work are needed, but I think it's a good base. The line should to be thicker. The gradients could be better, etc.. The svg files are just a quick vectorization of the FreeCAD screen-shot. And If you really want the 'F' and the gear, it can be place on the projections.

What do you think?
Attachments
logo heart made in FreeCAD v0.16.png
logo heart made in FreeCAD v0.16.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
heart logo part.fcstd
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
heart logo B&W.png
heart logo B&W.png (24.31 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
FreeCQd heart logo color and gradiant.png
FreeCQd heart logo color and gradiant.png (26.28 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
FreeCAD heart logo color.svg
(9.44 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by Mika38 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

Also, we could make a good T-short out of it: :lol:
I heart FreeCAD.png
I heart FreeCAD.png (40.6 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Edit:
I improved the SVG file, to fit the logo requirement. I'm trying to make it look like the icons of part design on this page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork/en. Please note that, I did not follow all the guidelines (the gradient for example). In the same time, it lose its CAD feeling. I'm not sure where to go next, I will wait for your feedback.
Attachments
Heart logo 64px HD.png
Heart logo 64px HD.png (27.99 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Heart logo 64px 32px 16px.png
Heart logo 64px 32px 16px.png (21.59 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Heart logo 64px.svg
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Last edited by Mika38 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)