Forum staging environment now available

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Forum staging environment now available

Post by kkremitzki »

Link:
https://freecad.io/forum

That makes 3/3! There is now a staging environment for all major web apps used by the FreeCAD project. This means extensions, integrations, and bugfixes can be safely tested without bothering Werner, Yorik, etc.!

First up to bat for me on forum issues is probably the fact that video tags don't give working inline videos. Any other bugs/issues (preferably researched) feel free to post here!
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Forum staging environment now available

Post by kkremitzki »

Video tags should now be fixed!
phpBB [video]
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

kkremitzki wrote:Video tags should now be fixed!
Thank you so much! :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:
Hi guys, can videos be disabled if you don't want to see them? It would be much better to have to click or something rather than automatically playing, and hence downloading potentially considerable amounts of data. This is of importance to those who are trying to survive on some idiotic mobile phone based internet service....Like me! :)

Also there is a new version of phpbb released recently, which I believe Yorik is keen to update to this new version. We are on 3.1 and now 3.2 is out with some important new features, including a new web based administration system.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Your work on all our web stuff is a blessing @kkremitzki! Thanks a lot for all this.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

jmaustpc wrote:
NormandC wrote:
Hi guys, can videos be disabled if you don't want to see them? It would be much better to have to click or something rather than automatically playing, and hence downloading potentially considerable amounts of data. This is of importance to those who are trying to survive on some idiotic mobile phone based internet service....Like me! :)
I totally understand and sympathize. I've heard the horror stories of Australian Internet. The tricky part is that implementing that involves modifying https://freecadweb.org/js/bbmedia.js which if you take a look is not so straightforward. You might have luck using some sort of adblock plugin that targets that file in particular.
Also there is a new version of phpbb released recently, which I believe Yorik is keen to update to this new version. We are on 3.1 and now 3.2 is out with some important new features, including a new web based administration system.
Indeed, https://freecad.io/forum is running phpBB 3.2 now. One of the main reasons for these staging environments is to take care of several needed upgrades by first replicating the environment, then doing the upgrade, and then replicating it in production. Current status:
  • MantisBT Bug Tracker: 1.3.x -> 2.2 (Done) -> 2.2.1 (Need 1st to fix known XSS vuln)
  • MediaWiki: 1.26 -> 1.28 (Done in staging, VERY messy and need to replicate for consistency, also need on freecadweb.org. EOL for current version was November 2016 so this probably needs done 2nd for security reasons)
  • phpBB: 3.1 -> 3.2 (Done in staging, need on forum.freecadweb.org)
So as you can see, I unfortunately may not get to updating the forum in production soon. It may not even be in the next 2 weeks because I have a bit of a busy period upcoming with a robotics course I am TA'ing.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi Jim,
jmaustpc wrote:Hi guys, can videos be disabled if you don't want to see them? It would be much better to have to click or something rather than automatically playing
Videos don't play automatically, you need to click/tap on the play button in the centre of the video.

That being said, there seems to be some data downloaded as after a few seconds, the black screen is replaced with the static image of the video.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The extra data load should be fairly small; the file downloaded to serve as a preview to the video above is only 44K. Besides that most of the stuff should be cached. The preview is a .webp file which apparently is a format developed by Google specifically for small images.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:Videos don't play automatically, you need to click/tap on the play button in the centre of the video.
Ok, that's what I wanted, great to see that I already have what I want! :-)
kkremitzki wrote: I totally understand and sympathize. I've heard the horror stories of Australian Internet.
Not really, Internet access here is generally quite good and the national broadband network is generally pretty good but it is still being built. The complications are for me that I moved recently, live in the outback and 15gig a month on my mobile phone modem disappears ridiculously quickly particularly if you look at YouTube. The national broadband network here is provided via satellite and I have not yet got around to getting it set up, you get a subsidy if you live in a remote area.

Once you get out of the cities, Australia is huge and has a low population density. I live in a densely populated area by our standards, I am only about 25km out of a reasonably large county town, not far from a major Highway, yet there is only one other house within a km of mine. Today, for the first time in many months, I had to stop and wait for a car when I turned on to the highway.

I go to the next town in one direction quite often, it's 160km or so, the most other cars I have ever passed on that trip is 20 and the least is 1. My kids count the other cars and one of them counts horses because she is mad keen on the silly things, :-).