Proposal for GSoC - jnxd

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Proposal for GSoC - jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Hello all.

I'm a little late to the party in terms of application but I was just waiting to make sure I get an admit before I apply for GSoC. My focus is on the purely mechanical aspects of FC, which include PD, Sketcher, FEM and TechDraw/Drawing WBs. Pertinent to this, I would like to apply for the project on PartDesign Updates. However, looking at the development in PD already and the fact that more developers are already joining in to help, the updates are likely going to be finished soon. If that happens, I would like to take a jab at topological naming in whatever time is left. My claim to fame are the around 50 commits already in FreeCAD and I would love to contribute further through GSoC.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Proposal for GSoC - jnxd

Post by DeepSOIC »

Looks like we are going to have some serious development power around part design soon, interesting.

I've been invited by ickby to mentor for GSoC, and I think I'm in.. I'm new to all this GSoC stuff, so I'd be curious to know. Since you already code for FreeCAD, what's the idea of participating in GSoC, which seems to be aimed at introducing students to development for open-source projects... something doesn't glue up in my head :mrgreen:

I have a few ideas around PartDesign, which I might not be able to bring to life myself, so maybe I should post them somewhere?
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Google pays the students... This year however we already have 4 or 5 candidates ? it is however possible that we will get support for only one (as we did last year).

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/rules/
https://developers.google.com/open-sour ... sibilities
https://developers.google.com/open-sour ... t-stipends
Last edited by saso on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

DeepSOIC wrote: Since you already code for FreeCAD, what's the idea of participating in GSoC, which seems to be aimed at introducing students to development for open-source projects... something doesn't glue up in my head :mrgreen:
Can't really say much about it. My masters work completed sometime in December, so I joined into FreeCAD in the meantime before I could join in for PhD.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

saso wrote:Google pays the students...
Ha, clear as mud now :mrgreen: thanks!

saso wrote:This year however we already have 4 or 5 candidates ? it is however possible that we will get support for only one (as we did last year).
That's unfortunate...
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

nice to hear that you like to apply for GSoC! I'm looking forward for reading your proposal, and I will definitely give guidance on any topic you like. Also if you want a review before submitting a final proposal I gladly do that.

As mentioned in this thread we will have quite a few high quality proposals this year. It is unclear how many slots we receive exactly, but I'm pretty sure it is more than one. However, it will be less than the number of available proposals. Also we have limited mentor power, and we want to provide a good support for students. But that being said, I think it is clear for everyone that making a proposal does not directly means acceptance and that this program is rather competitive.

To the proposed topics: There is quite a lot of work to be done on PartDesign. IMHO there is plenty of work to be done in regards of making the tools stable and fine tune the workflows, so that a full-time work for 3 months is easily filled. So if wanted you can focus on that topic and make a proposal around PartDesign. It would be important to show which shortcommings you like to fix, and where you would like to go within the 3 months.

The other topic you mention is also a very good one, and easily provides enough work for the summer and the time after. It does has the advantage of being a more closed and easily definable topic. For this you may use this branch as basis for a proposal. In the remaining time it would be important to understand the concepts it uses and than you should focus on the things you like to add and make wor in the 3 months.

As there is limited time to the proposal deadline I suggest to fast decide on one topic and try to make your proposal as technically detailed as possible.

Stefan
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am guessing FreeCAD 0.17 therefore has no real chance to be released before GSoC is over?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello jnxd,

as there is now one week till the end of proposal phase I would recommend to upload your proposal to the GSoC site in status draft for us to review. You can still edit it there as long as you dont set it to final, but this gets the officiel workflow startet and you will see if there are any technical issues.

Regards,
Stefan
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

ickby wrote:Hello jnxd,

as there is now one week till the end of proposal phase I would recommend to upload your proposal to the GSoC site in status draft for us to review. You can still edit it there as long as you dont set it to final, but this gets the officiel workflow startet and you will see if there are any technical issues.

Regards,
Stefan
Hello ickby,

I have decided to go for the topological naming project, but I am afraid I wont be able to understand much of it before doing some literature review myself. I don't think I would be able to make a much technical proposal in time, though I will surely try. I did look up your naming branch, but I would need documentation. Could you point me to any literature you are referring to while writing the branch?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

jnxd wrote:I have decided to go for the topological naming project, but I am afraid I wont be able to understand much of it before doing some literature review myself. I don't think I would be able to make a much technical proposal in time, though I will surely try. I did look up your naming branch, but I would need documentation. Could you point me to any literature you are referring to while writing the branch?
I think it would be good to discuss a few technical things first, so that you get at least a first impression on the topic and what it is about. Are you on IRC/Gitter in 2hours? We could talk a bit about the technical side of things.