FC0.17 usage details

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cox

Re: FC0.17 usage details

Post by cox »

DeepSOIC wrote:BTW! Macro Align View to Face
Better name and already available, I should have guessed :-)
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Linking issue #3007 to this thread
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

cox wrote:
raulshc wrote: What is your opinion?
Could this be called "View face from normal", it might work on curved faces as well.

Would also be nice in arch and eventually Assembly to have the reverse direction "View from face normal" ?
Curved faces is more complicated since the face and one point of the surface are needed, because every normal vector of the surface is unique and it's needed calculate the tangent plane of the surface in every point. For flat faces, all normal vectors are equal and the tangent plane is the same that the flat face. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_(geometry)
DeepSOIC wrote:BTW! Macro Align View to Face
That is the desired behavior, but integrated with C ++ code as in the other cases. I have tried it and it works very well. ;)
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

raulshc wrote:*The Sketcher symbol isn't displayed in the preferences editor. This happens in 0.17.10802 x32 version under windows 7 32bit.
Werner fixed this issue. See git commit 8f5057a
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

raulshc wrote:...
@raulsc please bidirectionally link ticket <=> thread. I did it for you previously:
Kunda1 wrote:Linking issue #3007 to this thread

Since you now opened another ticket: issue #3011 to this thread. It helps with bug triaging and cut down on bug tracker bloat. Thx.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

Kunda1 wrote:
raulshc wrote:...
@raulsc please bidirectionally link ticket <=> thread. I did it for you previously:
Kunda1 wrote:Linking issue #3007 to this thread

Since you now opened another ticket: issue #3011 to this thread. It helps with bug triaging and cut down on bug tracker bloat. Thx.
OK, no problem :)
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

Hi to all,

other question, in relation to Sketcher; in the constraints system, I have noticed that there are not two geometric restictions that other parametric modellers have; the Concentricity constraint and the Midpoint constraint. I have also noticed that there are created icons that symbolize these restrictions on the Arkwork page of our wiki.

Any plan to implement these restrictions on the sketcher coming soon?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

raulshc wrote:other parametric modellers have; the Concentricity constraint and the Midpoint constraint
We already have them. Concentricity is simply making center points coincident, and midpoint is represented by symmectric (select point and line and click symmetric constraint). So adding them as separate constraints won't do much apart from taking up toolbar space.
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

I know, it's just about usability improvement issues. From the programmer's point of view, the resolution algorithm has to be optimal, and these constraints are redundant. From the point of view of the user and his experience in design, having a restriction that can do the same by using two edges (for example, two circle arcs for concentricity) than two matching center points can facilitate the work of the designer and reduce the times of design.

When the main parametric 3D modelers (CATIA, Solidwoks, Creo, ect.) Have it, even though it is redundant, it is for some reason related to what I said, I think.