BOLTS Open Library of Technical Specifications

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jreinhardt

Re: BOLTS Open Library of Technical Specifications

Post by jreinhardt »

Thanks a lot for pushing for this! I am currently quite busy irl, so I only quietly followed the developments in the libpack.

This should help a lot, I believe most people using windows have problems getting BOLTS to run, because of dependency problems.
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
django013

Post by django013 »

Hello,

I installed and tried out the bolts library. Very nice!

I realized, that at creating a part i.e. rectangular hollow section, the profile (sketch?) is visible. Is that behaviour intentionally?
Then I found lot of parts missing, i.e. bearings or others. Additionally I didn't find T-profiles, so I thought, why not start contributing?

I read the stuff from bolts-library.org, but did not really find a howto about creating parts for bolts. May be I missed some pages?
I thought, starting with a T-profile should be simple enuf, to get into the flow.

Could anybody shine me a light, about how to begin?
... and how can I extend existing parts like bearings?
Is it possibel to contribute without any idea about snakes? ;)
j-cam

Post by j-cam »

I was wondering if some more parameters could be included in, say, the nuts and bolts sections so that we could build a BOM from the hardware used in the model... especially with the assembly workbenches.

I wonder if a spreadsheet could also be used to track inventory together with what Bolts offers.

Just some thoughts from a newbie.
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I am currently quite busy, which is why I have not much time to spend on BOLTS. I rewrote the profile scripts a while ago, depending on the version you use (stable, development or git) the behaviour you mention should be fixed, at least I think it should.

There is a bit of documentation about contributing parts:
http://www.bolts-library.org/en/docs/0.3/index.html
However, some bits of it might be slightly outdated, but not so much, so that if you follow the advise, the result can be easily adapted.

To add new parts, two things are needed: A data table in a specific format (in form of a blt file), and a script that generates a model from the parameters in the table. The scripts are written in python, but are in general very easy (the profile script is relatively difficult, as profiles tend to be very detailed, so the scripts get either very long and difficult to maintain if one doesn't exploit the symmetry of the problem, or a bit more difficult to read, if one does), so even if you don't know python, it might be doable.

To work on the data tables, only a text editor is necessary. This might be the easier place to start, there is a list of small and bigger tasks and things to check:
http://www.bolts-library.org/en/tasks.html

If you have any questions, I am happy to help out, and appreciate any help with improving or extending BOLTS.

@j-cam: That is on my agenda, but I can not promise a date when this will be possible.
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
If you are interested, I have done beams Din_1026-1_UPN 24 profiles (http://www.bauforumstahl.de/upload/docu ... rofile.pdf)
Din-1026-1-UPN.zip
(289.95 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

Hi, there are a couple of issues with this pack:

Firstly

Code: Select all

File "/home/dave/.FreeCAD/Macro/FreeCAD-addons-master/BOLTS/gui/freecad_bolts.py", line 362, in on_addButton_clicked
    revision = int(FreeCAD.Version()[2].split()[0])
IndexError: list index out of range

print FreeCAD.Version()
['0', '17', '10949 (Git)', 'git://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git master', '2017/04/25 09:24:40', 'master', '20828b3cb31557301da66465363717e1e66c28c7']
So replacing it with revision=FreeCAD.Version()[1] works.

However, I can't resolve the following:

File "/home/dave/.FreeCAD/Macro/FreeCAD-addons-master/BOLTS/gui/freecad_bolts.py", line 368, in on_addButton_clicked
    params[key] = FreeCAD.Units.translateUnit("%g %s" %
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'translateUnit'
~ Dave
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@dave:

Did you download from http://www.bolts-library.org/en/downloads.html ? Which BOLTS did you use? You should use the Development SnapShot
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

davecoventry wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am Hi, there are a couple of issues with this pack:
Just installed it with 0.17 AddOn manager and itworked find for me.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11478 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: c806e4529e54b93cb22b1ed096c1d8cb37aa00ff
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0

EDIT: no it worked not fine. FreeCAD was still loading the pyc file of the old BOLTS
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Dave:

I can reproduce the problem whenn installing BOLTS from AddOnn manager. I will have a look. I have an idea already. A BOLTS package needs to be created before.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

The problem is the addon manager load the github of BOLTS, but one needs to create a FreeCAD package out of the BOLTS package and install this one. I'm gone make an issue at the AddOn repo.

Bernd