Difficulties with working with small distances

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
novis

Re: Difficulties with working with small distances

Post by novis »

Hi normandc,
many thanks for your reply. I hope there will be changes to the SW that allows extended freedom to select no. of digits.

The version you refere to - 0.14.2911 - I cannot find under - http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-ca ... 0unstable/. Please let me know where to find it.

Thanks again for your assist.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You can't unless you compile FreeCAD yourself. Windows unstable versions are produced manually. The volunteer who used to build the 32-bit Windows installers stopped providing them a few months ago.

On Ubuntu, we have set up a "daily build" repository. If there are new additions to the source code, a new FreeCAD package is automatically built every 24 hours. My Ubuntu Update Manager pushes them to me so I always have the latest.

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.2913 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: d77d672cfb3cc57a92b5549ec7386dbbb16bfd86
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0
novis

Post by novis »

Thank you normandc.

It sound as I'm stuck using WINDOWS. Unfortunatly I think I am not capable to compile FreeCad myself. I am not a software person.
I would probably need to wait until a new volunteer enters the scene or buy another computer and run ubunto.
I pray the volunteer!! :)

Do you have all these digit features up and running with ubunto?

I thank you very much and wish you and your family a fantasticly blessed 2014!!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi novis,
You can install Ubuntu without partitioning your hard drive, and on start-up you then have the option to boot either with Windows or Ubuntu. You can also try Ubuntu by booting from a thumb drive too. This way you can use the daily FreeCAD builds with Ubuntu if you like, and still keep your existing programs on your computer as well.
Happy and blessed New Year to you!
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi novis,
use LinuxLive Lili on usb key which allows to install mode permanent on key programs without moving your computer everything done on the key.
You can install and uninstall programs as you want and the distribution linux you want
the best and easiest to use
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
novis

Post by novis »

Hello normandc,
I am at at it again. I really want to know how freecad/ unbunto works.
I have made myself a "LinuxLive Lili" => Thanks mario52. For what ever reason I only got 10 MB persistancy. If that is a later problem I will have to get another stick, I guess.
Now to FreeCad, normandc I clicked the ubunto button for download and landed on the “FreeCAD maintainers” team page.
Could you please advice how I can find the version you suggest to download?
Thanks
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
novis wrote:"LinuxLive Lili" => Thanks mario52. For what ever reason I only got 10 MB persistancy.
I work with a 4 giga key and I formatted all of the key and Lili gave me the key to maximum ! could be that your key is too small it should be + - 700 Mega only for the system, and the rest of the key to the residence.

ps: I discovered this http://windows.kde.org/ I do not know if it is a KDE desktop or a KDE system usable in Windows !
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

novis wrote:Could you please advice how I can find the version you suggest to download?
You will see 2 links, stable releases and daily builds. Stable releases contains one package every freecad release (0.12, 0.13, etc...) while the daily build is automatically built every day, so you get the fresh and latest bleeding edge features of freecad. I'd recommend the daily build...

Each package page will contain instructions on how to install it...
openfablab

Post by openfablab »

Hello! :)

I want to add just another vote for sub-nanometer modelling. I tried to design experimental setup for atomic-force microsccope and had many troubles due to lack of sub-nanometer geometry. Of course, I do not plan to make solids of that size, but helper lines, planes an another objects could be very helpful. At last, I used scale 1:1000 with some incoveniences.

FreeCAD easily works with millions of kilometers. It makes easy to design Dyson spheres, and othed futuristic space stuff. But IMHO there still be too much room for big sizes and too low room for small sizes. There is tendency to develop nano and molecular devices, so many people in future will face this problem. I think, it will be enough to move lower accuracy limit to 1 femtometer (may be, nuclear physicists wil not agree :) ).

It can be done by adding some bidirectional scaler inside FreeCAD to correctly process these dimensions. Or one can introduce "Atom Workbench" with ability to add sizeless point atoms to model, displaying by their VDW or Bohr radii. I say this beacause I very like FreeCAD and I do not see convenient free (and may be not only free) molecular editors. Avogadro and Nanoengineer are not convenient for CAD-style modelling of molecular nano devices, and I hope to see FreeCAD in this niche in future.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

openfablab wrote:Hello! :)

I want to add just another vote for sub-nanometer modelling. I tried to design experimental setup for atomic-force microsccope and had many troubles due to lack of sub-nanometer geometry. Of course, I do not plan to make solids of that size, but helper lines, planes an another objects could be very helpful. At last, I used scale 1:1000 with some incoveniences.

FreeCAD easily works with millions of kilometers. It makes easy to design Dyson spheres, and othed futuristic space stuff. But IMHO there still be too much room for big sizes and too low room for small sizes. There is tendency to develop nano and molecular devices, so many people in future will face this problem. I think, it will be enough to move lower accuracy limit to 1 femtometer (may be, nuclear physicists wil not agree :) ).

It can be done by adding some bidirectional scaler inside FreeCAD to correctly process these dimensions. Or one can introduce "Atom Workbench" with ability to add sizeless point atoms to model, displaying by their VDW or Bohr radii. I say this beacause I very like FreeCAD and I do not see convenient free (and may be not only free) molecular editors. Avogadro and Nanoengineer are not convenient for CAD-style modelling of molecular nano devices, and I hope to see FreeCAD in this niche in future.
Very interesting ideas; it reminds me of a professor in my department who is working on nano engines (to power future general-purpose nano machines) to be injected into the blood and powered off blood glucose. Could you imagine being able to model something like that in FreeCAD??
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.