Sketcher font size

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
detlet

Sketcher font size

Post by detlet »

I have the problem, that fonts in sketcher some times get nearly unreadable small. This depends on the zoom size. Here are two pics of it:
Font size is OK at low zoom
Font size too small at higher zoom levels.
In higher zoom levels it is also very hard to pan the working area around. If I drag it over the complete window, the content only moves for some pixels. On the highest zoom level, where I can't zoom in further, panning doesn't work at all.I use FreeCAD from git master.
wmayer
Founder

Re: Sketcher font size

Post by wmayer »

Which OS? For older versions of FreeCAD did you have a grey box or did you get the numbers? I ask this because on certain systems where the graphic driver doesn't support non-power-of-two sizes of a texture you had this white box in the past. There is now a workaround for this issue but the numbers appear a bit smaller which however is unavoidable.
detlet

Post by detlet »

I use debian testing on x86-64 with the fglrx drivers. I never had grey boxes instead of numbers, but the fglrx driver I've just installed some weeks ago and this specific sketch is older. with smaller numbers I have no problem, if they doesn't get that small ;)
ralvejd

Post by ralvejd »

I get the same problem when I use the perspective view.
In orthographic view is the font the same size regardless of zoom level.

Has been so for all FreeCAD versions I tried.

Today tested on
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.2751 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 16e873310689f055fb249c69a5c8422b3eef1fa7
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.4
sorry for my outrageous English, but I have a bad excuse
detlet

Post by detlet »

Ok, that was a good hint. It really only appears in perspective view. Than is the reason why I didn't recognized it earlier, cause I didn't used the perspective view till some weeks where I started to use the raytracing workbench. So it isn't a real problem for me any more.
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

You will find that sketcher dimensions will not have consistent scale in perspective mode when the sketching plane is not perpendicular to the screen.

I didn't know how to fix that issue because it was dependent on the functions available in Coin3D. However, really it's only practical to sketch in 2D for now.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Maybe we should force the 3d view to go in orthographic mode when editing a sketch.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

IMO it makes absolutely no sense working in perspective mode. In real CAD it is used exclusively for visualization purposes (renders and screen captures), when modeling you should be in ortho mode.

I find modeling programs that force perspective view extremely annoying.
ektus

Post by ektus »

normandc wrote:IMO it makes absolutely no sense working in perspective mode. In real CAD it is used exclusively for visualization purposes (renders and screen captures), when modeling you should be in ortho mode.

I find modeling programs that force perspective view extremely annoying.
For me, it's the other way around. I work with CATIA V5 all day, and have assigned two keys on my space mouse to conveniently switch between ortho and perspective view. Ortho is good for sketches, and to view perpendicular to one side of the object, but other than that my eyes are only happy with perspective view. So don't force either, but let the user decide.

Nevertheless, the dimension texts in the sketch shouldn't vary in size, perhaps unless the sketch plane is not parallel to the screen.

Regards
Ektus.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Excuse me for digging out this thread, but it seems to me it is either still not fixed, or had a reincarnation.
The font size goes really nuts whenever global origin is very close to the middle of the left boundary of viewing window. Only in perspective view.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4654 +27 (Git)
Branch: testing_touch+unlim+sketchfix
Hash: 9c600991340904aadab91a7a79a735f4091c88b0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1

hmm, I have just uploaded a well-over-0.5MB-sized picture to the forum... Was the limit increased?
sketcher font size in perspective.png
sketcher font size in perspective.png (709.31 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
EDIT: not sketches origin, but global origin