Mirror bottom in Z-

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

Mirror bottom in Z-

Post by jriegel »

What do you think about such a feature:

http://img15.nnm.me/3/d/6/c/9/a71c6b26c ... 15d83a.png
Stop whining - start coding!
shoogen
Veteran

Re: Mirror bottom in Z-

Post by shoogen »

I looks very nice on renderings. But i can't think of any use in the interactive view.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I've actually already done something similar to that .... almost.... with FreeCAD...I used Draft Polar Array. But of course that is actually making a parametric copy rather than just a visual display thing...

Juergen, in your Assembly information in the wiki, you talked about how Body and Assembly Part would work to allow screws and the like to be modelled once but displayed in multiple places...or something a little like that. So would Assembly be another way to achieve something similar but more efficient on processor time/memory etc. that Draft Array or Part Mirror?

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

jriegel wrote:What do you think about such a feature:

http://img15.nnm.me/3/d/6/c/9/a71c6b26c ... 15d83a.png
Are you talking about doing a rendering or having that as part of the standard 3D view? If it's rendering, we can already do that. If your talking about having that feature in the standard 3D view, that would take a brand new 3D render engine. My first thought on that would be something like the quake render or some other 3D game engine, but all of those work from meshes and that would not be that compatible with FreeCAD I wouldn't think.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I know this is not the same, .. but just for the fun of it...
car_underside.png
car_underside.png (21.45 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
cartest.fcstd
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
This uses Part WB Mirror, a Draft array would not give you a mirror image.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

quick61 wrote:If your talking about having that feature in the standard 3D view, that would take a brand new 3D render engine. My first thought on that would be something like the quake render or some other 3D game engine, but all of those work from meshes and that would not be that compatible with FreeCAD I wouldn't think.

Mark
I don't think such migration is necessary. The feature should not be hard to implement.

The real question: Would it be useful? IMO some others things in the FreeCAD renderer are more urgent: performance optimisation, maybe level of detail (LOD) implementation...
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Its really not hard to implement, Coin3D is able to do it. But I'm also unsure if its needed....
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

jriegel wrote:Its really not hard to implement, Coin3D is able to do it. But I'm also unsure if its needed....
If it's not that hard, make it option in Preferences > Display > 3D View. I had no idea that was available.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

jriegel wrote:Its really not hard to implement, Coin3D is able to do it. But I'm also unsure if its needed....
Is there a node which does it directly? Which one? But besides that I don't think we really need it in the 3d view because it disturbs more than it helps. But as Mark said it's possible with the Raytracing workbench and this is sufficient IMO.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Its basically the transformation node where you transform (mirror) and render the same model again, plus a partially transparent "tabel" underneath the part. Thats all :)

But its probably really pretty useless....