Testing the Drawing Module

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Testing the Drawing Module

Post by NormandC »

Read the first post again.
DomiChi

Post by DomiChi »

normandc wrote:Read the first post again.
You mean nothing new from the first post, no new exe to test, I can test on the exe that I have?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

DomiChi wrote:I can test on W7 and W8, I have

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3310 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: cd03973a9bd853a8553f1142403bb48259e4dd3e
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a

Is it the good exe to test?
Otherwise please tell me where I can find the good one.

Hi DomiChi
you have to download the source code from Luke's repository and then compile his version of FreeCAD and then test that.....On Windows that is not all that easy but certainly not impossible. Do you know how to compile software? You could read the FreeCAD wiki for help specific to FreeCAD.

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DomiChi wrote:You mean nothing new from the first post, no new exe to test, I can test on the exe that I have?
The first post has a link to a post on the blog of the developer. Did you actually look at it? It explains everything.

And no, you cannot use a regular FreeCAD install.
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

I've pushed a few more updates through, for the past two days.

I made abit of a significant change to the way views are represented on a page, so they are represented in a hierarchy. This has resulted in a few problems, for the time being is satisfactory but not brilliant. I'm waiting for a better solution to come in the long run from jriegel and wmayer. You'll notice that there are a lot of document.recomputes()

* Dimension creation should be more robust
* You can position views and dimensions using the property editor and these update themselves.
* You can select the anchor view for the Orthographic collection.
* Dragging the anchor OrthoView should be reliable now.
* Double click on the orthographic collection in tree view and you can add/remove views using task view (WIP)
* You can save the document when in Drawing View
* Undo & Redo should work quite well under most cases

Current Limitations:
The undo-redo system should be robust for 'most' operations, except the following cases:
* Using the property editor. However, this I think this case anyway in FreeCAD
* Deleting dimensions

There's a random seg fault I'm looking for. I noticed it happen when you move views. If you can report this I'd be grateful.
DomiChi

Post by DomiChi »

normandc wrote:Did you actually look at it? It explains everything.
Of course but on the blog there is no EXE and I am not a developper.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DomiChi wrote:Of course but on the blog there is no EXE
Well there you go.

As Jim already replied:
jmaustpc wrote:Hi DomiChi
you have to download the source code from Luke's repository and then compile his version of FreeCAD and then test that.....On Windows that is not all that easy but certainly not impossible. Do you know how to compile software? You could read the FreeCAD wiki for help specific to FreeCAD.
More information can be found on the wiki: CompileOnWindows
DomiChi wrote:I am not a developper.
I am not either. The wiki has detailed instructions on compiling FreeCAD from the master repository. mrlukeparry's blog has specific info on how to compile his specific development branch.
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

note to self:

I need to a diameter dimension and get that working.

On that subject, I think to get away from some depressing bug fixing, I'll implement centre marks.

One question I have is for radius and diameter dimensions, should it automatically add centrelines or is this considered a separate annotation?

From my experience, these are automatically added when dimensions but can be alternatively made using a separate command. If you wanted these hiding, what way do would you people prefer.

Other question I have is would be people want a General TaskDialog for a standard view: e.g. default axonometric views? Would people think one needs to be done for the general page document?

In the end the TaskViews although simple, are quite time consuming to do and could be relatively easily done by someone else I'd imagine. Much of it can be manipulated thru the property view.

Anyway, I feel like it's getting somewhere towards finishing - I'm hoping that it will give LibreCAD a run for its money :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

mrlukeparry wrote:One question I have is for radius and diameter dimensions, should it automatically add centrelines or is this considered a separate annotation?
I would certainly prefer to have an option for centerlines to be enabled/disabled. When you dimension a hole a centerline is useful, but I never put them on fillets as is does not make much sense IMO and the view gets too "heavy".

Maybe the center mark could be a specific parameter (on/off) of the radius and diameter dimensions?
mrlukeparry wrote:From my experience, these are automatically added when dimensions but can be alternatively made using a separate command.
Yes, ideally both ways would be desirable, but depending on what you decide, if you add a center mark parameter, then an individual center mark tool may be done later.
mrlukeparry wrote:Other question I have is would be people want a General TaskDialog for a standard view: e.g. default axonometric views? Would people think one needs to be done for the general page document?
I'm not sure what you mean by a taskdialog for a standard view?

Making j-dowsett's OrthoViews working again would be nice, but I'm not sure what that would entail.
mrlukeparry wrote:Anyway, I feel like it's getting somewhere towards finishing - I'm hoping that it will give LibreCAD a run for its money :)
That would be sweet! :)
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

Regarding center marks- I agree with Normand, making them optional would be good.