Testing the Drawing Module

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Testing the Drawing Module

Post by triplus »

I remember a few months back the fuss over the slightly non standard selection in Sketcher.
Well yes i hope it will always be possible to use Single Click in Sketcher and i hope you will not implement Double Click convention when working with drawings. But this is up to you in the end.
If people want to decide on a 'default' colour scheme, please say. So far it's only blue for selection.
Well maybe Blue for BluePrints is the one? About consistency:
I think the only thing we need to be sure we do is be consistent across FreeCAD.
Here it might make sense to change current selection colour from blue to green. If "hover" would be implemented probably Yellow should be used? But again if Blue will be distinctive DW colour it probably could be used for selections too.
For now, I think for now keeping to what joe did makes sense. i.e. automatically calculating the scale and position. I see your idea could be useful, but I think would be better approached using python scripting.
Yes controlling this form Python is quite common request:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6214

That would allow for example to crate macro for new Drawing Workbench purposes too and to use built in powerful Orthographic Projection tool. If you ever decide to give the option to write Orthographic Projection tool presets directly to drawing template as mentioned above that would be great but sure probably more demand for this would be needed. In the end again it is developer choice.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

First Question:

If Diameter dimension Type is used i am guessing Content property should be changed to ø%value instead of r%value? I noticed issue was made on osifont bug tracker and this character should be supported by osifont.

http://code.google.com/p/osifont/issues/detail?id=29

Inputting ø%value in Content property does not give predicted results and i was wondering if latest osifont is used for Drawing Workbench ATM or something else is the cause for current behaviour?

Second Question:

There is one (quite big) issue that was/is present in old/new DW. Basically it only supports single drawing without workarounds used. If having multiple drawings (multi pages) FreeCAD isn't good at inputting drawing views at all. I am guessing it will be the same with dimension objects too. FreeCAD does not detect what is the Active Drawing or if trying to tell FreeCAD what you are after by selecting in Tree View the part and Page at the same time FreeCAD still moves inserted Drawing Views in first drawing. In old DW user can drag-drop views to different drawing in your DW ATM i am not able to do that. Ideally FreeCAD would manage this better. In my macro i actually achieved good results using this method but the main difference is my macro only has to insert views in one go and from DW perspective this is different because drawing itself and views and dimensions are constantly added/removed.

Long story short: Do you have (plan) any solution that could improve multi-drawing support in Drawing Workbench in the future? I am guessing this will be challenging task!

P.S. Having diameter dimension type like this would be great:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%8C%80#Diameter_symbol
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

And there is one more question i never asked but would be interesting to know the reason why is Save operation disabled for Drawing Workbench. Is there any big obstacle preventing CTRL + S support in Drawing Workbench?
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

The latest commit broke the save-SVG-function. It crashes FreeCAD now.

Ulrich
Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3178 (Git)
Branch: drawing
Hash: cff66ec7b37e084f93e71b2e940fc1bbc56cd339
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

triplus wrote:And there is one more question i never asked but would be interesting to know the reason why is Save operation disabled for Drawing Workbench. Is there any big obstacle preventing CTRL + S support in Drawing Workbench?
It's not intentionally disabled. It's a current issue with non 3D views and needs discussing with wmayer and jriegel.
ulrich1a wrote:The latest commit broke the save-SVG-function. It crashes FreeCAD now.
Cheers, It's something I forgot to migrate over. Nice easy fix, so it should work now :)

Keep up the bug huntin!

p.s. Will record a screen cast tonight.
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

mrlukeparry wrote:Keep up the bug huntin!
What about the bugs reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6216&start=10#p49922

Ulrich
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I had another go at it today and saw that dimensions can be much more versatile than I thought. You can change the dimension type in its properties, for example convert a diagonal distance dimension to DImensionX, DImensionY... Very nice!
Yeah, I thought I'd have more time on it but it's hard, just got myself Rocksmith 2014 last week and it's too damn fun. After 15 years in a closet, my Fender Strat is finally seeing some action! :mrgreen:
mrlukeparry wrote:p.s. Will record a screen cast tonight.
Great! :)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It's not intentionally disabled. It's a current issue with non 3D views and needs discussing with wmayer and jriegel.
I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I had another go at it today and saw that dimensions can be much more versatile than I thought. You can change the dimension type in its properties, for example convert a diagonal distance dimension to DImensionX, DImensionY... Very nice!
Yes already powerful indeed.
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

ulrich1a wrote:
What about the bugs reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6216&start=10#p49922

Ulrich
The problem with the angle is that I haven't enabled support for measuring angles in 3D views. Later it can be allowed if the lines lie on the same plane. For now you can only measure the 'projected' angle, which is in the property views.

I tried making a video tonight, but my microphone wasn't working very well. If I have time tomorrow evening I'll try again
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

mrlukeparry wrote:The problem with the angle is that I haven't enabled support for measuring angles in 3D views.
Ok, I see.
I have not much experience with CAD-drawings, so I looked it up in book about how to make drawings. It says, dimension should only added to that edges, where its true lenght is shown in the view. This is equivalent to: all drawn dimensions are perpendicular to the projection direction. So I would say, the default dimension setting should be "Projected" and not "True"!

There will be then a need for a dialog, that lets select the projection direction from the shape properties. So for example a face can be clicked and its normal is choosen as projection direction. Other methods to select the projection direction may be needed as well.

My test case is the wedge from the part workbench. Adding a view of it gives a z-axis projection. So I tried to add the distance between a bottom and a top edge. This worked by selecting the left sloping edge and adding a dimension with settings "Distance" and "Projected". I then tried to add a dimension of the hights of the wedge. I selected a top edge and a bottom edge. After adding a dimension with the settings "Distance" and "Projected", I am getting the right distance, but a wrong angle of the added dimension. (See image, right dimension). I know, that I could get the needed result in this case with the setting "distancey", but it should also work in a general case, where the needed dimension is not aligned to any of the main axis.

Other issues:
- When changing the scale of a view, FreeCAD crashes, when the view has a dimension!
- There is a regression regarding the template: The template is not anymore to scale. And the white drawing area and the template are not aligned.

Ulrich
dimension_wrong_angle.png
dimension_wrong_angle.png (97.23 KiB) Viewed 2760 times