[SOLVED] New window feature help

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: New window feature help

Post by triplus »

I am sorry but i am not able to test you model because as in first example trying to insert for example a preset window it is at least (few) ten times bigger then your whole model.

I thought it has something to do with units because for example KitchenWindow height under Properties most surely is not 12 mm. I thought it probably is 1.2 meters in height and changed the units from mm to meters under preferences and opened the file again but still got (few) ten times bigger preset window compared to the whole model.

I might be doing something wrong because until now i never used anything else but mm as unit in FreeCAD. Anyway trying to fit window of height 1000mm in wall of height 30mm is a no go. ;)

That is why i used manually created simple wall for tests in the first place.
however

Post by however »

Thanks triplus,

I have been wondering the same since the start of the project, and I was assuming that I could have scaled everything on a 100:1 Scale, so that the wall high 30mm would have been 3m and the windows' height of 12mm would have been 1.2m.

But, I guess i'll start again using the real measurements (I mean metres).

I'll report soon.

Thanks again,
Slackware 14.1 32b and FreeCAD 0.14
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes i do not believe you should do any manual scaling at all just use real measurements. If something is intended to be 1000mm long just make it 1000mm long. Scaling only complicates things?

P.S. Simply changing units in Preferences does change units in FreeCAD and you can work with both millimetres or meters. Based on some quick test i would suggest to stay with millimetres for now and wait for the units system to mature in FreeCAD to start using meters by default.