Organizing the Model

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
however

Organizing the Model

Post by however »

Hi again,

I got the basic grasp of designing structures, walls and other objects, however following the tutorial as per my previous topic there is a section where it is mentioned about organizing you model.

This might sound like a real newbie question, but I don't see how I can add groups and then allocating each object to it. As I understand, every object is strictly correlated to another, e.g. if I attach a window/door to a wall that window belongs to the wall object.

In the tutorial it's not well explained, and one would assume that it's only a matter of drag&drop. At least in my case, it's not hat simple, i.e. nothing happen when i drag&drop. How are they doing?

Would anyone be so kind to briefly explain the process to organize a model?

Thanks.
Slackware 14.1 32b and FreeCAD 0.14
triplus
Veteran

Re: Organizing the Model

Post by triplus »

This might sound like a real newbie question, but I don't see how I can add groups and then allocating each object to it.
You can create groups:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... _structure

Right click in Tree View on object -> Create group...
however

Post by however »

Hi triplus,

thank you for the tutorial.

p.s.: I can firmly confirm that the windows/snapping does not work on Slackware (with or without passive snapping selected). I believe it's because of some conflicts with the wall being joined as explained earlier. If I place a window/door on a single wall everything works perfectly, but after a join one or more walls the window behaves strange (as if it has a tail taking over the wall behind, especially in narrow corridors). In my case, I place every window and/or door somewhere on the graph and then move it accordingly adjusting X. Y and Z placement.

Thank you again.
Slackware 14.1 32b and FreeCAD 0.14
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes it is possible you will have to use "workarounds" for some tasks sometimes because a lot of things was added in this Development Cycle and things need to mature.