Any nearer to FreeCAD 0.14 going GA.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Any nearer to FreeCAD 0.14 going GA.

Post by keithsloan52 »

Are we any nearer to FreeCAD 0.14 becoming the official stable release?
I know Yorik states its done when it is done, but according to the stats on http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-ca ... 20Windows/ there are between 1000 and 1500 people down loading the windows version of FreeCAD 0.13 everyday.
Where as the Windows FreeCAD 0.14 version only gets downloaded between 100 and 200.
yorik
Founder

Re: Any nearer to FreeCAD 0.14 going GA.

Post by yorik »

Actually now, who decides when the release happens, is Jürgen I think. Everything depends on the assembly stuff, the rest is more or less ready for release I believe.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Since a Release is distributed as binary and most people use this binary. Isn't it important which occ version to use too?
A download of FreeCAD 0.14.3389 for Windows says OCC 6.5.1 Which version will be included in Release 0.14 binary? It seams OCC 6.7.0 has some bugs. But 6.7.1 is upcoming ... http://dev.opencascade.org/index.php?q= ... omment-312
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I've been meaning to open such a topic for a while.

I doubt Jürgen will be ready to merge the jriegel/dev-assembly soon. It's a very big step.

On the other hand, since there's been tremendous work accomplished for the past 15 months, among that new functionality in many modules, and tons of bug fixes, I would vote to not wait any longer and make a 0.14 release as soon as possible.

Sure, some people will be disappointed if the assembly branch is not merged in v0.14, but I am convinced that 0.14 can stand on its own without it.

Selection of the OCC version may be problematic. As Berd said, OCC 6.7.0 is plagued with some performance problems. At the same time, it solves a lot of problems with booleans, and they work faster too. Maybe waiting for the OCE port of OCC 6.7.1 would be wise, but that would push it by two months I'm guessing.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Assembly currently is far from beeing usefull and we would get to much bad feedback in it's current state. BUT I still hope the new part design gets added in the near future so that there is some time left to test it and iron it out before 0.14 release. I think this is important as it extends the functionality massivly (datum planes) and makes the differences between part design and part clearer (body feature) which is so often a source of confusion. That would be definitly a big step whith some testing/bug hunting work needed, but worthwhile!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I would sure like for the Part Design stuff to be merged before a v0.14 release, but since it's been merged with the Assembly stuff I do not know if merging one would be possible without the other.

If merging it, testing it and ironing it out reasonably requires a few months, then I think it would be best to make a release before the merge.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

normandc wrote:I would sure like for the Part Design stuff to be merged before a v0.14 release, but since it's been merged with the Assembly stuff I do not know if merging one would be possible without the other.

If merging it, testing it and ironing it out reasonably requires a few months, then I think it would be best to make a release before the merge.
Sure, it would be much better to have done the changes in part design a bit more independent of the assembly stuff because I think now it's almost impossible to merge the one without the other. Anyway, a new release 0.14 will definitely be made before merging the assembly branch because there are so fundamental changes in the core system that it will take some time to fix all the issues we will have.

So, there will be soon a feature freeze and we should concentrate on fixing bugs.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

In general terms then would the plan be to make a good 0.14 release, and then merge the "Assembly/PartDesign" into master? Presumably master will then be a bit free for a while to be more "wild"/"dangerous"/"on-the-edge"/"compatibility issues" or whatever until Assembly is "better behaved" and more complete.

OCC/OCE
Regarding the OCC/OCE version...I think we need to focus on 6.7.0 or higher if at all possible, if for nothing else because the check geometry tool does not work well with earlier versions. It would seem logical to wait for the first bug release i.e. 6.7.1 if that is no too far away, since the "stable release" will probably be around a long time with Windows users. The point releases of OCC are, as far as I am aware, always compatible with the earlier point releases. The OCC version is a Windows specific issue, as on Linux it can be upgraded (within limits) being a lib in a different package.

PartDesign
I believe Juergen said a while ago something along the lines of the PartDesign improvements are not practical in include without the Assembly stuff. I think he said it was too much work to split it out...Werner seems in agree with that assessment, so presumably that matter is settled. :)

Drawing
I was hoping Luke's new Drawing WB would be out in time but perhaps not?

Spreadsheet
I was also hoping the C++ spreadsheet stuff would be included, but that also perhaps not?

Arch
Obviously this is Yorik's baby, but I was wondering if he wants to get IFC import/export to some particular point of development and I think he might like "halfspace" resolved/implemented for 0.14?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote: Spreadsheet
I was also hoping the C++ spreadsheet stuff would be included, but that also perhaps not?
I don't think so.. Anyway it is pretty "stable" now, ready for release...
jmaustpc wrote: Arch
Obviously this is Yorik's baby, but I was wondering if he wants to get IFC import/export to some particular point of development and I think he might like "halfspace" resolved/implemented for 0.14?
That's not really needed right now, it's for future development. The arch module is stable enough for release too

I have a few more draft bugs to solve on my mantis list, but nothing critical... then I'll have a look on the unassigned bugs too if I can help with anything
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jmaustpc wrote: OCC/OCE
... It would seem logical to wait for the first bug release i.e. 6.7.1 if that is no too far away, ...
6.7.1 beta has allready been released for testing purposes ... http://files.opencascade.com/OCCT/OCC_6 ... 1-beta.tgz