Couldn't submit a new project name on the new wiki...

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yohplala

Couldn't submit a new project name on the new wiki...

Post by yohplala »

Hi everybody!

I would like to know if visitor (such as myself) are allowed to update the new wiki (the "edit" button is not available, even after logging in)?
I tried to add a suggestion in the name page and wanted to make a correction in the new wiki on Sourceforge and couldn't...

Well I give you here what I wanted to correct.

1/ The other FreeCAD project homepage has changed. Here is its new homepage.
http://www.ar-cad.com/

2/ In addition, I wanted to add some suggestions to the name page.

I followed a track that I had in my mind since few weeks...

- First, I thought it could be nice to find the name of an invention from Leonardo De Vinci with a nice name, or something like that, but I couldn't find one...
I was interested in finding an original invention/mechanism which could then be drawn in FreeCAD as a logo or splash screen.

- Then, I kept on the track of mechanisms, metallurgy... and actually, it lead me to dwarves and dwarf mythology...
Ok, quick step in wikipedia on the Dwarf article trying to find a cool god name or something like that...

- Hmmm... Again, not really successful, but I could find some names of dwarf artefacts... Here was a new track! I actually ended up on the Norse Mythology, and on a page listing some of its main artefacts ...

I reviewed them closely, and here are some new ideas for FreeCAD...

a- Gleipnir is for me one of the most interesting:
- apparently, it is said in Wikipedia that it means "open one". Well, rather suitable, isn't it?
- it has been made by dwarves (idea of metal work, mechanisms...)
- its legend is actually quite nice. Quoting Wikipedia:

"It is the binding that holds the mighty wolf Fenrisulfr. Even though it is as thin as a silken ribbon, it is stronger than any iron chain. It was forged by the dwarves in their underground realm of Svartálfaheim, and made of six ingredients:

* The sound of a cat's footfall
* The beard of a woman
* The roots of a mountain
* The sinews of a bear
* The breath of a fish
* The spittle of a bird

Thus we no longer hear a cat's footfall, women have no beards, mountains have no roots, bears no sinews, fish no breath, and birds no spittle.

Gleipnir, having bound the Fenrisúlfur securely, was the cause of Týr's lost arm, for the Fenrisulfr bit it off when he was not freed. Gleipnir is said to hold until Ragnarök, when it will break and Fenrir will devour Odin."

I would now dare the following interpretation:

"It is the binding that holds the mighty commercial CAD software such as Catia or UG, and all others... Even though it is as light as a zipped CD music encoded in ogg, it offers more flexibility than any other CAD software. It was developped by the ?dwarves? in their underground realm of SourceForge, and made of many great open source libraries:

* Python
* Open Cascade
* Qt
* Coin3D
* ODE
* SoQt

...Gleipnir is said to hold until Ragnarök, when it will break and new commercial CAD software versions will be released more and more frequently without allowing format compatibility..."

b- Skíðblaðnir (Skidbladnir) is also very interesting. It is the ship of Freyr.
- it would be nice to draw and the logo would be quickly found: the ship!
- it has been made by dwarves (again, idea of metal work, metallurgy...)
- as indicated in Wikipedia, Freyr "bestows peace and pleasure on mortals", a nice omen!
- here again, its legend is very nice. Quoting Wikipedia:

"The ship was big enough to hold the whole of the host of Asgard, and whenever the sails were hoisted, a fair wind followed. It could travel over both land and sea. According to the Ynglinga saga, Skíðblaðnir was made by so many parts and with such ingenuity that it could be folded like a cloth and carried in one's pouch."

I really like the last sentence, in which there is some FreeCAD spririt...
...made by so many great open source libraries and with such ingenuity...

c- Eldhrímnir is a cauldron, in which we could cook nice CADs!
I actually like the name.

d- Mjöllnir is the hammer of Thor (here again, idea of metal work, metallurgy...) It is the tool with which we can build new mechanisms, designs...

What do you think of these suggestions?

Cheers,

Yoh
yorik
Founder

Re: Couldn't submit a new project name on the new wiki...

Post by yorik »

wow!!!
For my these are along the best names we have so far...
I also had some editing problems with the new wiki, but it seems solved now... Are you sure you used your sourceforge login name?
yohplala

Post by yohplala »

Hi Yorik,

Thanks for your comments!
I tried again and I could this time add those suggestions and correct some links (the new phpBB forums were not pointed in the Help & Support page).
Ok here it is: name suggestions page

Thanks again Yorik!
Cheers,

Yoh
Carlod

Post by Carlod »

Last days I was thinking about the name and I've made two consideration..

First of all, this project in his developments is watching, as is written on the wiki pages, to CATIA by Dassault.
CATIA is the acronym for Computer Aided Three dimensional Interactive Application.
Like Dassault software, we can think that freeCAD can have a female name too..

Second consideration is that freeCAD is distributed under the GPL like a lot of opensource softwares.
So we can consider a stable software opensource like GIMP, where his name is the acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program.

My idea is that freeCAD can have a female name that is an acronym that includes the "G" (better if start with this letter) and at least an "A" for the word aided common for all the CAD software.
Searching in a name specialized website, the best name that I've found is GAIA that can be, for example, the acronym for GNU Aided Interactive Application.

Ok, i know that Gaia is used for a lot of things, as you can see at her Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia), but can be interesting a discussion in this direction..

I hope this post can be usefull or if not just ignore it..

Please guys, continue to work on this project because is really great!
Carlo
flolli

Post by flolli »

I don't know, but GAIA sounds for me a little bit too much "searching for effect".
Too spectacular!

I really like the idea of having something with "free" in it.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Thanks for the thoughts about good names, amazing stuff!

Im still not convinced we shut leave the name FreeCAD. For me its more "Freedom" and not "Free beer".
The free stands for not be depended on big CAD companies which hold you and your models in their hands.
And the freedom to use the program and the created models as you wish, without licenses and other nasty stuff..

And I like the simplicity, some one who reads "FreeCAD" known what it is...

Cheers
Jürgen
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

And also, the more time passes, the more the name "FreeCAD" is becoming famous!