Suggestion for Alignment Tool

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Suggestion for Alignment Tool

Post by bejant »

A few days I was trying to make a dodecahedron by adding pentagonal faces to one another, which stemmed from this forum thread.

I selected the two edges I wanted to align:
20140726b_pentagons.png
20140726b_pentagons.png (6.34 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
and when I selected the Alignment Tool (Edit -> Alignment) the views looked like this:
20140726c_alignment.png
20140726c_alignment.png (19.64 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
The only visible objects are the two pentagons and of course they look identical, so it's really difficult to try to figure out which edge is to be moved and to which edge it should be aligned.

After reading another forum thread which discusses different visibility modes for Sketcher, I thought it would be helpful if when using the Alignment Tool, the other objects in the views were visible but "ghosted" (and also not selectable) so as to help the user see the orientation of the views and also help the user determine which edge is which.

I'm thinking this functionality would be similar to the second post of the forum thread referenced above and issue #0845, which is in reference to only Sketcher.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Suggestion for Alignment Tool

Post by jmaustpc »

are you thinking perhaps something similar to the "ghost" objects that are displayed during construction of a PartDesign Pattern feature? I wonder if they might get in the way sometimes, maybe/maybe not I am not sure what my opinion is?
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

bejant wrote:The only visible objects are the two pentagons and of course they look identical, so it's really difficult to try to figure out which edge is to be moved and to which edge it should be aligned.
This is a challenge like a pairs game. But it can be solved. Both shapes are shown in identical orientation as of the time you select the align tool. You may turn the view before calling the align tool in a way, that makes it easier to memorize the edges you want to align.
But how do you start the whole assembly? I would think at least the first two faces should be oriented to the final position, in order to have three points to align the next face.

Ulrich
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

jmaustpc wrote:are you thinking perhaps something similar to the "ghost" objects that are displayed during construction of a PartDesign Pattern feature?
Initially I was thinking that the unselected objects could appear with a high transparency, but this would be a good option too. To me it seems that there could be a way to help the user better visualize the orientation of the items.
jmaustpc wrote:I wonder if they might get in the way sometimes
To use the alignment tool, the objects need to be selected before the command can be initiated. So they're already chosen; and I envision the other transparent objects would be unselectable.
ulrich1a wrote:Both shapes are shown in identical orientation as of the time you select the align tool
Thanks Ulrich, that's something I didn't notice until you pointed it out. (I also noticed that I selected the objects in the wrong order!)

But after reading this I went back into the same FreeCAD file and tried the Alignment Tool again. This time I also created a new view so I could switch between the Alignment Tool split screen and my original view but it's still difficult to figure out which pentagon is which.

Aligning and placing objects seems to be a frequent topic in the Help section of the forum and it seems the Alignment Tool could be changed to make it more user friendly. I think it could be further enhanced by adding an icon and tooltip (maybe something like "Select fixed object first").

Blue = edit