Project to simulate motion from control system output

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wbr

Project to simulate motion from control system output

Post by wbr »

Hello FreeCAD,

I apologize in advance for the length of my post. I have this version from the PPA:

Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3702 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: b3368125c63289ec8ce9faec2b2ae4c78d436406
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a

I dl'd this week to start my project. The idea is to connect a PLC simulator that also simulates its motion control components to a solid model, for development of control systems without the need for the hardware (for as long as possible, anyway). I have a way to access the position updates for the motion simulation, and I want to connect them to parameters in the solid model of the system to be controlled so that the simulation of the motion components becomes visible and (hopefully) more realistic. For now, just visual simulation is adequate, but once this is accomplished, solutions to more powerful problems could be pursued, e.g. what size does this motor need to be, will this machine be fast enough, will the parts hold up over time, etc.

There are some screenshots of some nice looking FC "assemblies," but as I began using FC I realized that these are not assemblies in the typical sense.

To start my project, I created a couple of simple round parts, a cylinder for a shaft, and a tube to use as a sleeve. Now I need to "assemble" them. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate the help. I am not yet interested in making impressive models, I just want a platform on which to develop my project.

My main two reasons for choosing FC are that it is free and it makes liberal use of Python. I am by no means a Python expert, but I have used it before and found it powerful and easy to learn. I am hoping the Python interface will allow the solid model "assembly" to obtain the position updates from motion simulation and to provide some basic feedback, e.g. the shaft has reached TDC, to the control simulation.

Thanks!