Message to the Developers

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: Message to the Developers

Post by bejant »

Hi Blakeo44, I read your first post but didn't reply because I didn't think you'd be back. I'm glad to see you've returned so I'd like to offer some answers / comments.
Blakeo44 wrote:yes they are both 95% designed to be 2D so I thought I might download FreeCAD and give it a try.
From this I gather that you already have 2D CAD programs that suits your needs and were looking for a 3D CAD program when you found FreeCAD (my replies are with the thought that you want to use FreeCAD to create 3D objects):
Blakeo44 wrote:1. All the symbols are pretty clear but not as to the point as they should be. Also too many actions are required to even do the simple things. Not user friendly at all.
In reading that, it seems that whatever you're trying to do, you're approaching it in the wrong manner.
Blakeo44 wrote:2. Even trying to use the most basic tools such as lines, and squares proved to be a challenge!! This is a 3D drawing program so I hope the people designing this thing would understand (AND MAKE IMPROVEMENTS) that to get to 3D, you might first want to start with a form of 2D drawing.
In FreeCAD we often start with form of 2D drawing; this is done with the Sketcher WB (which is integrated into the Part Design WB).
Blakeo44 wrote:Ex: I want to make a line, or square etc. I want to be able to click the symbol for my desired action, and without further clicking or navigation DO WHAT I CLICKED ON.
I'm puzzled because that is how things are done in Sketcher. The work flow is something like this:

Start FreeCAD;
Go to Part Design WB,
File > New;
Tasks tab > Create Sketch or click the Create Sketch button:
In the pop-up window select a plane and click OK.

Now here's where I think you're doing something wrong. To make a Line, click the "Create a Line" tool:
and click once to define the first endpoint of the line segment and click again to define the endpoint.
Similarly, to make a rectangle, select the "Create a Rectangle" tool:
and create the rectangle by defining two opposite corners. Notice that the icons include visual cues that these items are defined by two points. To make the rectangle into a square two adjacent sides must be selected and made equal to one another by applying the Equality Constraint:
Blakeo44 wrote:Like when I click line, it should pop up the X, Y, and Z axis boxes for (1st where I want to start, then where I want the line to end). No other action should be necessary. This goes for ALL basic geometry functions. I also noticed the Endpoint button sucks and just does not work right.
Does this refer to the Draft WB? In the Draft WB when you click the Line tool, the Tasks tab is displayed so you can define the first endpoint.
Blakeo44 wrote:I also noticed the Endpoint button sucks and just does not work right. I almost have to completely cover the endpoint with my mouse in order for it to understand, YES that is the endpoint I want to click.
You're doing something wrong. In the Draft WB we can draw a rectangle, and then click the Line tool to create a line. With only Endpoint snap selected, hover the cursor anywhere on the rectangle and snap is set to the nearest endpoint.
Blakeo44 wrote:3. I like the workbench idea FreeCAD came up with. I also think that each workbench is kind of slapped together and again is not clearly put together. When I first looked at them I didn't know which one to use just to start drawing a simple box, so how user friendly is that?
Do you want to make a 2D box or a 3D box? Or do you want to make a 2D box and the turn it into a 3D box? There are several different ways to do either in FreeCAD, so I have to suggest that you need to do some homework if you want to use FreeCAD efficiently.
Blakeo44 wrote:4. Cubes(And other 3D geometry's). When I click cube it automatically just plots a cube!
How easy is that! (It couldn't be any simpler.)
Blakeo44 wrote:The user should ALWAYS have a feeling of control over the program.
From the tree view select "Cube", click the Data tab, then change the Length, Width, and Height properties. There are several ways to move the cube: Placement, Snaps, etc.
Blakeo44 wrote:5. I cant import or export files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again, you're simply doing something wrong, unless you're trying to use some propriety file format.
Blakeo44 wrote:6. I want to do everything on the drawing screen. I dont want to have to enter in weird codes or macros(Whatever that is). Just too much computer geek stuff happening for everyone to keep up, including me.
Every model I've created (or fixed in the forum) had been done from the GUI. You don't have to use macros or scripting if you don't want to do so.
Blakeo44 wrote:7. Overall I think the FreeCAD program is heading in a good direction. It does need a lot of features modified, some features simplified and best of all a TRAINING PROGRAM! I cant tell you how many tutorials Ive tried to watch and still most of the stuff just seem complicated to me. PLEASE, PLEASE FIX AND UPDATE!
Have a look here first and follow the links, if you're interested:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7091&p=57372#p57372

==============

A teenager was constantly upset with his parents; they didn't understand anything he said. This got to be too much for him, so when he got older he moved out on his own. Half a year passed before he spoke with his parents again. He was amazed at how much they had learned about life, in just 6 short months...