Drawing dimensions

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NT4Boy

Drawing dimensions

Post by NT4Boy »

Please, why is it so difficult to create dimensions on a drawing when getting the model image there is so straightforward?
Word size: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3700 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-14
Hash: 32f5aae0a64333ec8d5d160dbc46e690510c8fe1
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1

I find it impossible to get my dimension pick to hit an apex in 3-d space and then having to scale the text to suit the object is maddening.
As a user, I just want to be able to pick the detail on the drawing page and the font size to be related to the printing world.
Sorry to moan, but I've spent a day with a model of a small building and it broke me.
yorik
Founder

Re: Drawing dimensions

Post by yorik »

Man, this is far less easy than you seem to think... Everybody here would like as much as you to have a decent dimensioning system. But unless people start to help, instead of just complaining, things will go at their own pace.
NT4Boy

Post by NT4Boy »

Yorik, I apologise for my moan.
I guess because I am so impressed with the 3-D modelling side I was just so disappointed.
How can I help?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Luke has a branch where he has was extending the Drawing WB. Part of that included a system to insert intelligent linked dimension into the 2d drawing directly.
NT4Boy wrote:Yorik, I apologise for my moan.
I guess because I am so impressed with the 3-D modelling side I was just so disappointed.
How can I help?
Can you please attach an example fcstd file of a model of something you think is hard to dimension? And an exact description of what sort of dimension you want? We need to start by working out specifically what you see as being the problems.

Jim
NT4Boy

Post by NT4Boy »

Ok,here goes.
the FCAD file is my model, a couple of walls, overall size is 7 x 5 meters sitting on a base.
In sketcher I have made the main back wall 5000 mm across.
I set the working plane in draft to be the top of the wall, and selected the dimension tool and tried to pick the corner points of the inner wall, but as you'll see from the dimension, I've missed.
As soon at the dimension line appears, there is no apparent text to read as its so small, so you change the font etc to make it visible. It would be great if the next dimension you made remembered these changes, as its tedious to keep having to repeat yourself. I know you can change the preferences, but if you are also working on smaller items then not ideal.
On the drawing sheet, I want a simple plan view and be able to put a dimension that shows the length of the back wall.
(As a starter)

Thanks
Attachments
rigRoom.FCStd
A couple of rooms
(53.95 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I will have a look at your file in a few hours but some tips to think about in the mean time...not certain all are relevant until I look at your file.

Sure, dimensions and drawing in general are not perfect, but I suspect they are far more functional that you seem to think. Did you read the dimension page in the wiki? Draft_Dimension

Firstly you have 64 bit windows and yet you have installed 32 bit FreeCAD....un-install it and install 64bit FreeCAD...apart from being 64 bit it also has more up to date libs.

I am talking about "master", FreeCAD is in rapid development master is now already almost 300 updates past 0.14 release version.

Either learn how to compile on Windows ...which seems more difficult than Ubuntu Linux variants..but I have not personally tried on Windows, you may find it easier than I think. Or better still, if you haven't already, install a Ubuntu variant, my suggestion is Kubuntu (particularly for Linux newbies with Windows experience, as the environment will seem more logical, initially) 64bit so that you have KDE but others are happy with standard Ubuntu. The Ubuntus will just partition your HDD and install alongside your existing Windows, so you can boot into either. Then you can boot into Linux where compiling is easy and you can have an autocratically compiled from master version of FreeCAD available for automatic download and installation daily.

So if you are ever not happy with a certain level of features or functionality, make sure you are looking at "master" as it may well already be fix.

For starters dimension settings default values are editable in preferences.

draft default dimensions settings.jpg
draft default dimensions settings.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 3201 times

Next
NT4Boy wrote:As soon at the dimension line appears, there is no apparent text to read as its so small, so you change the font etc to make it visible. It would be great if the next dimension you made remembered these changes, as its tedious to keep having to repeat yourself. I know you can change the preferences, but if you are also working on smaller items then not ideal.
You can set the text display type in the view tab, in combo view, of your Draft Dimension to 3d text,....then it will show the text no matter the zoom level or orientation. Its not perfect, but is very useful.

NT4Boy wrote:I set the working plane in draft to be the top of the wall, and selected the dimension tool and tried to pick the corner points of the inner wall, but as you'll see from the dimension, I've missed.
If the dimension you want is along one single edge, then use a "linked" dimension by holding the Alt key....it will then measure the edge exactly and update along with any changes to that edge if you change your model. If not use Draft Snapping...turn off any conflicting snaps and just turn on the one you want, probably "end of line" and then you can create a non-linked dimension but it will be exactly on the correct points.
NT4Boy wrote:On the drawing sheet, I want a simple plan view and be able to put a dimension that shows the length of the back wall.
well that is easy just set the working plane appropriately create you draft dimension, then in the draft wb look at the tool bar...there is an icon for "to Drawing" which will send the dimension to the drawing.

Anyway I will have a look at your file specifically during the day, my time ....but in my time zone it is now coming up to 2a.m. so I really have to go to bed....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ........whoops! :)

Jim
NT4Boy

Post by NT4Boy »

Re the 64bit version then, I guess I am dimmer than I think as can only see the x86 Windows installer at the sourceforge link.
Thank you though for pointing out some things that I will try. I've yes looked at these pages, but it not until you cannot achieve what you want and fail to solve it, then the significance of certain points become apparent.
Don't get me wrong, I really want to like this if not only because its got a sketcher and rolls its models like Catia.
Sleep well.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Re the 64bit version then, I guess I am dimmer than I think as can only see the x86 Windows installer at the sourceforge link.
Yea, that link should maybe be fixed to link here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-ca ... AD%200.14/ which is the FreeCAD 0.14 in the file list below the link to the 32 bit version. That or as discussed is the past, link the 64 bit version as default. But that could cause a new set of problems with those that are still using 32 bit versions of windows.

Mark

To moderators - Shouldn't this be moved to the Help section?
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

quick61 wrote:Yea, that link should maybe be fixed to link here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-ca ... AD%200.14/ which is the FreeCAD 0.14 in the file list below the link to the 32 bit version.
Yes, I was about to suggest the same thing :-) Problem is that stupid auto generated link is also there in that sub folder....we really should ask sourceforge to turn it off.

Sourceforge's automatically generated link looks at you o/s as reported by your browser and adjusts according to o/s but it is too stupid to send people to 32 or 64 bit so it just points all Windows users to the 32bit....annoying...if they can't work out which to offer sourceforge should offer both and let he user decide.

NT4Boy ...go here....and download the 64 bit...its the release version so it now about 300 updates behind, master.

sourceforgefreecaddownload.jpg
sourceforgefreecaddownload.jpg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
NT4Boy

Post by NT4Boy »

Ok, thanks I've got the 64 bit now.
I've got various Linux servers and VMs, so familiar enough with the beast but of course not Ubuntu...
Video is not great via VM's though so would avoid that and not really up for dual booting where I want to use this Cad.
Compiling for windows, now might be up for leaning how to do that when I get a bit more familiar with the product.