suggestions for the wiki

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

suggestions for the wiki

Post by yorik »

A couple of ideas I have for the wiki:

- Code syntax highlighting: it was so cool to have that on the old wiki... Now the pieces of code look weird... is there no way to install it? Maybe we could do some lobbying with sourceforge? I don't know how it works, Jürgen, what can we do?
- News: I think everybody would like to have a good news system, just to know when some important thing has been done (new release, significant svn commit, new function available, etc...). I think the sourceforge news system is also an rss feed, so it can probably be included in the wiki too...
- A bit of styling for the wiki: some things (for ex. the ==== titles) don't look too good... I think wiki allows the use of themes, maybe we could make a special one for us?
- Screenshots: We really need new good screenshots I think... I made a couple of new screenshots on the wiki these last months, but they are not too attractive either... I'll make an effort!

What do you guys think? other ideas?
yohplala

Re: suggestions for the wiki

Post by yohplala »

Hi Yorik!

Just a question: what do you mean with: "We really need new good screenshots I think..."?

Should they be more attractive because more nicely presented/located in the wiki, or because of what they show (good looking CADs)?
This is a bit different.

Yoh
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think, both! :)
Screenshots that show cool things of FreeCAD, like that it runs on different systems, that it can do meshes, solids, 2d, surface analysis, import/export, things like that I think... I began a screenshots page here: https://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/ ... creenshots
But it's still not very good...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay i'm working on that screenshots page now.
If someone would have cool 3d engineering models around that can be imported as Part shapes, I would be glad to use them to produce cool 3D screenshots...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

other small suggestion: what would you think of putting the wiki homepage as freecad homepage, instead of the current one? it gets quickly outdated...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Have you seen that sourceforge is migrating its "old-style" forums to phpBB?
http://apps.sourceforge.net/wordpress/s ... k-manager/
Looks like they will do that automatically, would be cool, then maybe we could import all old threads from the "old" forum to here! There is so much info there, I always feel sad it is separated from this forum...
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

You right,
I would like to make the old forum read only, but there is no option.

I didn't found a possibility to migrate the old content...

Jürgen
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, everything there is now is just a "survey"... I hope they'll do something to migrate automatically. Looks like it will take some time.