Driven Extrusion on attached sketch

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
prrvchr

Re: Driven Extrusion on attached sketch

Post by prrvchr »

hi all,
This is what I would do and I can not ...
I must draw 200 pieces for building an ULM (small two-seater aircraft with less than 450 kg at take-off).
I would like to generate the Gcode for CNC controller type Linux CNC or TINYG2 ...
All pieces come from a paper plan with up to three views (top, front, side).
To simplify the generation of Gcode, I would like to build my parts with up to 3 sketch take from the paper plan view, extruded solid from and finally make a commun to have my piece.
Each sketch gives me the Gcode for 2 CNC axis??? ... with litle work!!!...
Maybe I digress ...
Tanks to any comment...
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

prrvchr wrote:I see this option, but you can only choose an entire sketch not just some edges of a sketch...
Before you use the Draft WB > Bi-Directionally convert tool on your Sketch:
Change to the Part Design WB, and double-click on your Sketch in the tree view to open it in Sketcher
Select the geometry you do not want to use
Toggle it Construction Geometry (blue lines) by using this tool:

So now the Sketch looks something like this:
20141031a_prrvchr.png
20141031a_prrvchr.png (24.26 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Close the Sketch.

Now when you use the Bi-Directionally Convert tool, the blue Construction Geometry in your Sketch won't be included in the conversion:
20141031b_prrvchr.png
20141031b_prrvchr.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
prrvchr wrote:How, tanks Bejant, now I have all my sketch in small part... But I lost any change in my sketch...
Perhaps it's better I make all sketch in the Draft Module?
Yes, the Bi-Directionally Convert is not parametric; it is only snapshot of the Sketch (minus the Construction Geometry) of your Sketch as it existed when the B-Directionally Convert tool was used.

I think it would be easier to use a Sketch in Sketcher and toggle the geometry you don't want to use. For me it would be more flexible and faster to use Constraints in Sketcher instead of Draft WB dimensions for doing this, but I haven't seen the complexity of what your working from.
prrvchr wrote:Can I retrieve all functionality what we have in the Sketch Module?
No, the Bi-Directionally Convert tool is not parametric; it doesn't update if the original Sketch is changed later.
prrvchr wrote:This is what I would do and I can not ...
I must draw 200 pieces for building an ULM (small two-seater aircraft with less than 450 kg at take-off).
In a previous post I thought you only wanted the outline of the piece; are these pieces flat (like sheet metal)?
Will the pieces be cut from sheet metal or thin plate, maybe using a laser or water-jet?
If so, you probably don't even to use the Part WB > Extrude tool in FreeCAD.
prrvchr wrote: To simplify the generation of Gcode, I would like to build my parts with up to 3 sketch take from the paper plan view, extruded solid from and finally make a commun to have my piece.
I think this would tend to favor the Part Design WB, instead of the Draft WB for doing this...

I hope this helps you...
prrvchr

Post by prrvchr »

Hi Bejant,
No, the Bi-Directionally Convert tool is not parametric; it doesn't update if the original Sketch is changed later.
I can't use if it'snt parametic...

I can make the piece, but I need to use the Pocket tool and use a "netative" sketch, this is what I would like to avoid...
3 solid in tree different view and a commun for the final piece...