Does FreeCAD support non-manifold modelling?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bkane10

Does FreeCAD support non-manifold modelling?

Post by bkane10 »

Hey,

Currently starting to write a thesis comparing manifold and non-manifold modelling and which to inquire, does FreeCAD support non-manifold modelling?

All the best
shoogen
Veteran

Re: Does FreeCAD support non-manifold modelling?

Post by shoogen »

If you work mainly in python and not with the GUI you might be able to some useful things with non-mainfold geometry.
But most of the tools in the GUI are meant to work on solids. (which, by definition, need to be mainfold).
I would say: Though FreeCAD might be useful in come cases, non-mainfold modelling is out of it's focus, and is clearly not supported.
A typical example is out sketcher. New users sometimes create non-mainfold sketches. But those can not be extruded (or padded) to a solid by our geometric modeling kernel. The result is a having the edges of the sketch extruded individually (to faces). But in the context of the usual work flows, this result is mostly useless.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Hello.

Since I am german and eager to learn something I first wanted to know what a non-manifold is.

So I found this document.

Looking at the Pictures "Non-Manifold Vertex in a Face" and "Non-Manifold Edge in a Solid" I would say:

> Circles or cylinders touching each other are mathematically spoken extra cases
> if the CAD-Core (in our case OCC) supports it you probably won't be able to do this Operation
in one single step
> but this is an interesting Point. ATM I don't have Access to FreeCAD but if time permits, i will do some
tests and report back

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
bkane10

Post by bkane10 »

Anyone have any advice on a good open source CAD package for non manifold modelling?

All the best
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello,

I'm sorry but CAD and non-manifold are totally, completely and absolutely antagonistic.

In CAD you try to avoid non-manifold like the plague. In fact all the CAD programs I know of will flat out refuse an operation that would generate a non-manifold object. That's because CAD is almost solely focused on real world design, and to my knowledge there is no case where a non-manifold object is desirable.