Drawing Module Future?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Drawing Module Future?

Post by yorik »

Very cool you are wanting to tackle this, wandererfan! Indeed for me too Luke's work is the way to go. And indeed the first difficulties you'll meet will be to rebase it on the current code, and make it compile at all.

A main problem that branch has, is that since it was forked from a pretty old stage, many features added later to the Drawing WB (a couple of tools such as clip or symbols, and the orthoview scripts) are not included in it. We also need to make sure all that still works.

That will be a lot of boring and maintenance work before being able to do anything cooler, I'm afraid... But indeed Luke's work is very precious, it would be really cool to rescue it
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

Hi everyone,

Don't worry, the drawing module isn't going to die :) just slightly delayd

I've had to deal with a pretty dreadful housing situation since late August aswell as not having internet there till October. I've managed to move back to my parents two weeks ago and will be looking for somewhere else in the new year to hopefully offer a more stable and less stressful habitation.

The time I have had free was either spent on PhD work and a side project I'm toying around with even working with a cluster computer. It has been a good opportunity to sharpen up on on some programming skills and a chance to experiment.

Regarding GIT - I think it's most sane to copy the source as a completle new module because of the number of conflicts and keep the old module history archived for reference.

I feel like I should update the blog, but I will be away on vacation till January hopefully more fresh.

Wanderfan, feel free to look at the module, the more the help the better :) In the mean time, perhaps it would be a good idea to write down some segfaults / critical bugs on the wiki for when I return.

Luke
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Glad to see you back Luke! Good luck with these end-of-year sortings!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FWIW, this: https://github.com/WandererFan/freecad- ... PDrawMerge should be the functional equivalent of this: https://github.com/mrlukeparry/FreeCAD_ ... ee/drawing but based on a recent master.

I could not figure out how to do it while keeping the commit history from mrlukeparry's branch, so I started from a recent master and did a lot of cut/paste.

I have another branch with additions to MLPDrawMerge that I'll post when it is a little cleaner.

wf
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Hi Wandererfan,

I've cloned your MLPMods branch and rebased it off the current master with the intention of trying to help a bit. My branch is over at https://github.com/ianrrees/FreeCAD_tin ... rawing-dev - going to take a crack at the floating 3D view on Mac (here) first. Thanks much for taking on the merge, looks like that took some effort! -Ian-
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

That's wonderful, Ian. This has turned out to be a much bigger job than I originally thought and I've had less time for it than I thought I would. :(

wf
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Hi Ian,
what kind of GPU do you use on Mac? AFAIK the Intel GPU OS X driver has some serious bugs, and it's very hard to workaround them by an app developer.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

That's interesting - I've got a ~2 year old MacBook Pro 15", so it's got an Intel and an Nvidia GPU. Not sure how the system decides which to use, or how to tell which is in use. I don't think it's a driver issue though, seems like something to do with Qt or Coin, as the mouse event handling is also behaving strangely. -Ian-

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1024 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 1.9.23

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU