Higher Appreciation to the Part::compound

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
microelly2
Veteran

Higher Appreciation to the Part::compound

Post by microelly2 »

In Blender there is the concept of an empty. Its simply a coordinate system which can change its placement. Objects can be bound to this empty by a process called parenting. When the empty moves the children follow. With the Part::Compound this possibilities can also be achieved inside FreeCAD. I would give the compound a higher appreciation. It should have its own symbol and a place in the symbol list. It should be creatable not only for two or more pre selected shapes but also for one - to define a new origin for the shape (example middle point of a cube) and without any shape - as generic empty. There should be the opportunity to display an axis cross on the placement of the compound to visualize its placement in the 3D window.
May be that all of this will come with the new assembly but in the meantime I would use the comfort too.
So for me - is this my personal taste or is there a common interest?
wmayer
Founder

Re: Higher Appreciation to the Part::compound

Post by wmayer »

So for me - is this my personal taste or is there a common interest?
IMO it's only a side-effect that the part compound works similarly to the Blender counterpart. But IMO the suitable object in FreeCAD is the class "App::Placement" which however doesn't seem to be fully implemented. Maybe you should ask jriegel directly.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

With the assembly module, I also think there will also be more tools to control that kind of things (one shape "embedded" inside another structure that has another placement).
ollydbg

Post by ollydbg »

It looks like I have asked a quite similar question today, see:
relationship of two parts: child and parent
Not sure what is the status of such feature.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Basically unchanged.