Electric field distribution calculation

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
noway

Electric field distribution calculation

Post by noway »

Hello.

I need to calculate an electric field distribution for a number of geometries.
One simplified example is attached: for given potentials on the grey parts, I need the field in the area between them.

I'm looking for a workflow integrated with CAD-software, so that I can draw a geometry, assign potentials and visualize the field.
1) Does FreeCad currently support such features?
2) If not, are there any other open source tools that do support it?
If there aren't any, I'm willing to try to implement such functionality in FreeCad.
Is it reasonable to attempt this?
r-frank
Veteran

Re: Electric field distribution calculation

Post by r-frank »

Hello noway.

Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

1) at the moment, the FEM-Workbench of FreeCAD only supports mechanical analysis to a limited extent.

2.) concerning other open source Eletromagnetic Simulation software
  • FEMM (but AFAIK only 2D geometry)
seem to be of initial interest for you.
I have to admit i only know their names, i have no personal experience with any of them

3.) including these functionalities in FreeCAD would mean to write a new workbench from scratch (IMHO)
Well, basically everything that enhances the capabilities of FreeCAD would be welcomed here :mrgreen:
But for starters i think you would be better suited to look into the links I posted above.

4.) please do us a favor and report back your findings/experiences. We like to learn and maybe we could add some
info in our wiki-section if more users will show up here asking such questions.

Hope this was at least a little helpful for you.

Have a nice day.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hello noway and welcome to FreeCAD :D

As r-frank says FreeCAD' 's FEM workbench is more geared towards mechanical analysis. But as a microwave engineer myself I think an EMag workbench would be a treat.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5400
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8340
noway wrote:If there aren't any, I'm willing to try to implement such functionality in FreeCad.
Is it reasonable to attempt this?
yesway :)
"fight the good fight"
noway

Post by noway »

Ok, thanks for the references. I'll take a look at them and let you know if I make any progress.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

I just saw that LISA supports electrostatic and magnetostatic studies.
Maybe the 1300 node Limit for free use will be sufficient for you.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

I am also interested, and I am thinking since quite a while about an EM workbench; but for my understanding, are you happy with field visualization only?
What is your ultimate goal? Radiation patterns, or are you looking for any other quantity you could obtain indirectly?

Ciao,
Enrico
noway

Post by noway »

What is your ultimate goal?
Well...
My goal is particle-in-cell simulations ( pretty far from what could be expected, I guess ).
This method is commonly used to simulate plasmas and particles in accelerators.
In short, a bunch of charged particles is injected into some region and then allowed to propagate according to external fields and particle-particle forces. Since the external fields are calculated from some external potential and currents distributions, an ability to solve electrostatics and magnetostatics problems is crucial.
are you happy with field visualization only? ... or are you looking for any other quantity you could obtain indirectly?
Currently it should be sufficient to have only fields.

Speaking of my original post, it seems like ONELAB ( well-known "gmsh" mesher + less well-known related tools ) also has some support for electromagnetics, but I have not figured out yet how to use it.

As for my general plans, I have not seen any open-source software for particle-in-cell simulations integrated with CAD programs. A PIC-plugin for FreeCad seems a reasonable solution. Support for electromagnetics also would be useful, since I need a way to calculate fields for specified currents and potentials. Therefore, it is in my interests to have an electromagnetic workbench in FreeCAD. Unfortunately, right now it is too early to speak of it, since I don't have a clear understanding of how to implement it.

Meanwhile, here is some relevant discussion at deal.ii mailing list.
( Deal.ii is an excellent finite-element library; a quick look it's documentation [ 1, 2, 3 ] is enough to fall in love with this project ).
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

I am searching exactly the same, is it already possible analysis FEM WB for Electric Fields?