collision detection and proximity sensors

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
microelly2
Veteran

Re: collision detection and proximity sensors

Post by microelly2 »

I have done a soft include of the assembly2 workbench,
so animation works too if assembyl2 is not installed.
https://github.com/microelly2/Animation ... 9a19af0713

There are 3 things planned

I will add a assembly2 node to the animation workbench. This node must be added to an animation in the case that the assembly2 solver should be executed.

Meantime I found out that assembly2 talks a lot and I ask how to hide the output.
I will contact hamish2014 to make assembly2 configurable no noise.

Sometimes the assembly2 server doesn't find a solution, so I'm looking for a interpolation method to go with the animation through unsolvable areas.
I have started this work last week creating as tracker and trackreader/interpolator but there still were no critical experiments.

It will take some time to get all these things running and sometimes thinking is better than coding.
10flow

Post by 10flow »

This is an old thread, but I wanted to share some things I recently learned. I have a script that detects large open volumes inside a part's bounding box. It works by creating small boxes in the bounding box and seeing if they intersect with the part. This results in a large number of checks to see whether the volumes intersect. I need to do this as quickly as possible, ideally in a couple seconds for a typical part.

For one example part, here's how long the script takes to run using a few approaches to checking for intersection (about 10,000 shape intersections each):

`shape.distToShape` -- 74 seconds
`shape.common` -- 63 seconds
`shape.section` -- 46 seconds

I now want to try the new "proximity" feature, but it is not available in the version of FreeCAD in the Ubuntu 16.04 package manager. I'll try compiling FreeCAD from source with a more recent occ/openCASCADE library and see if proximity produces better results.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Welcome to the forum,
it's always good to learn faster ways.
Meantime I work with point clouds as a first step.
creating the cloud is still time consuming but in the next step operations on clouds are very fast.
https://youtu.be/fP1UyqtkCE8
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

10flow wrote:but it is not available in the version of FreeCAD in the Ubuntu 16.04 package manager. I'll try compiling FreeCAD from source with a more recent occ/openCASCADE library and see if proximity produces better results.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21246