Revision Control

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
masterkorp.alfredo

Revision Control

Post by masterkorp.alfredo »

Hello,

I am pretty sure this was suggested before, but it would be awesome to have revision control built into FreeCAD.
Keeping the file under git every time get me a complete file rewrite, which is not a very useful history information.

I would like someway, somehow to have revision control, preferably build on top of git (Using gitpython maybe?)
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Revision Control

Post by NormandC »

Hi,
masterkorp.alfredo wrote:I am pretty sure this was suggested before
Yes, but even before that, it was part of the plan.

Have a look at the Development roadmap.

The wiki is not up-to-date on many projects discussed, some are pretty well advanced.

Revision control is mentioned here: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... on_control

Also, have a look at this forum topic: Storing FreeCAD files in a git repo
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

masterkorp.alfredo wrote:I would like someway, somehow to have revision control, preferably build on top of git (Using gitpython maybe?)
One major problem is the dependency on GPL code. Which results requiring the user to install those programs. In my current approach this would by python-dulwich when using gitpython, we might ship gitpython with FreeCAD, but the user has to have git installed.
masterkorp.alfredo

Post by masterkorp.alfredo »

Thanks for the replies.

I will definitely look into this ? Are you guys accepting patches ?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

masterkorp.alfredo wrote:Are you guys accepting patches ?
Of course! But if you plan to work on this more progressively than just dropping one patch, please consider using git, it makes everybody's life much easier, and also can provide you a lot more people to test, many users here use git regularly.

And indeed as shoogen says, don't forget that on the windows platform we cannot rely much on what is installed on the system, so we have to ship most libraries ourselves, and we need to keep that manageable...
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

I found out that libgit2 has a suitable license exception.