BimServer tool

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

BimServer tool

Post by yorik »

The Arch Workbench now finally has a (more or less) decent BImserver tool, found in Arch->Utilities->Bim Server:
bimserverplugin.jpg
bimserverplugin.jpg (177.3 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
With it you can connect to a Bimserver instance, select a project and upload or download IFC files from that project. The first time you click on the "Connect" button, you will be asked for a Bimserver URL and login, the next times it will try to autoconnect when you launch the command.

When you upload a file, you must choose a "root object" from the document, which must be an Arch Building or Arch Site.

When uploading or downloading, you can save the IFC file to be uploaded or downloaded. If you cancel the file saving dialog, the file will be saved under a temp name in the system's temp directory.

At the moment the Bimserver is not too useful, you can basically store versions of IFC files and view them in the integrated 3D viewer. But in the future it should become something pretty powerful, where you can do all kinds of queries, comparisons and checks, and also merge different versions intelligently. Now we will be ready for it ;)

git commit 9bd9f56b
microelly2
Veteran

Re: BimServer tool

Post by microelly2 »

Great, thank you for this template.
I'm thinking in the moment of a way to delegate point cloud calculations to a pc pool. The possiblility to connect to 20 pc's in a classroom and to use 4 instances on each computer for parallel computation can speed up with factor near 80. So the work of one day can be done in 10 minutes.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking good.

P.S. What would be interesting to have in the future in FreeCAD is default support for Git, WebDAV, FTP... If at least one would be supported by default i guess it would be interesting to see what features FreeCAD developers would build on that.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Git is coming next.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I think it would really nice it this can extend to different type of plm servers… however i can imagine that this is useful after the update of an assembly module.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

yorik wrote:Git is coming next.
Good to hear that!

Something like Dulwich with a porcelain Python API? As that is the only one i could find that might satisfy FreeCAD licence policy in the future (once it will be licensed under Apache license). Anyway looking forward for this as i guess it could provide a solid base for a lot of things we discussed in the past!
chakkree

Post by chakkree »

Test connect to BIM Server(localhost)
and next time learn how to use BIM Server :lol:
Connect_LocalHost.png
Connect_LocalHost.png (268.16 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7797 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1408f0cd0a2912b72839c46877d58e0a24f0240b
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The BimServer tool has now been moved out of Arch and is now part of the WebTools addon.