The FreeCAD manual

Info about new implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
r-frank

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby r-frank » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:46 pm

yorik wrote:2) We consider the wiki as a fork. In any case, there will be no way to update the printed version, so there will be several versions out there anyway.

Since the wiki version is tranlateable within the wiki and can easily be enhanced by wiki-writers i would opt for this way ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Yes, basically for me this whole thing was an experience... To see if I was able to write a book, and to see how different it was to have documentation written by a single person. Now I saw these two things :) I think the "master" should be the wiki. When 0.17 will be out, a good part of the book will be outdated. I'm not sure at all I'll have time to change the book, so it has more chances to keep up to date on the wiki...
__Vinz__

Postby __Vinz__ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:14 am

Hi there,

Ok, that makes sense too. Wiki editing is easier so this means the chances of getting contributions/translations is indeed higher.
ediloren

Postby ediloren » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:20 pm

I think the "master" should be the wiki

For me, Yorik's opinion is 'master' here ;) . Also the reason is good:

When 0.17 will be out, a good part of the book will be outdated. I'm not sure at all I'll have time to change the book, so it has more chances to keep up to date on the wiki...

But, if you really plan to have the whole book reviewed

make it reviewed by a native english speaker who has experience in the publishing business.

I think we may have many other small changes upcoming. Do you intend to edit the wiki then, and use the wiki as the basis for publishing? This is risky, as the wiki is by nature constantly evolving. You need a frozen version for publishing. So I would suggest to incorporate the part you think meaningful of my comments (many are typos or straightforward errors so probably not much to discuss there) as well as your reviewer's version in the master (github for the moment). BTW I'm sorry I don't know any experienced native speaker that could do the job (more than in the publishing, he/she probably should have some CAD experience, as the language is technical here, even if the book is aimed at novices - but not only!)

I can help there as well for my part, as soon as you review my comments, forking on github (silly me, I had that intention at first, then I was misled by quickly looking at gitbook in thinking there was no github source attached).

Ciao
Enrico
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:57 pm

ediloren wrote:So I would suggest to incorporate the part you think meaningful of my comments (many are typos or straightforward errors so probably not much to discuss there) as well as your reviewer's version in the master (github for the moment)

Yes, that's the plan

ediloren wrote:he/she probably should have some CAD experience, as the language is technical here

An editor who speaks CAD will be hard to find :) but I think if I find someone who already worked with tech books, that should be all right...
KHarcombe

Postby KHarcombe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:44 pm

yorik wrote:
ediloren wrote:So I would suggest to incorporate the part you think meaningful of my comments (many are typos or straightforward errors so probably not much to discuss there) as well as your reviewer's version in the master (github for the moment)

Yes, that's the plan

ediloren wrote:he/she probably should have some CAD experience, as the language is technical here

An editor who speaks CAD will be hard to find :) but I think if I find someone who already worked with tech books, that should be all right...

I have some experience with CAD software and I am prepared to read it and edit it.