The FreeCAD manual

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Post by bejant »

bitacovir wrote:Why this tool bar does not show? How I can turn it on?
First you have to click the Move tool. Then to turn Relative Mode to On, click the tick box inside the Move dialog window.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

There is also something not 100% OK with the translations.

When in the wiki changing to "Vector"-Theme, the translate tags in the TOC appear.
I thought the TOC is (to some extent) already translatable ?
Manual-Wiki_Translate.JPG
Manual-Wiki_Translate.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

r-frank wrote:When in the wiki changing to "Vector"-Theme, the translate tags in the TOC appear.
I thought the TOC is (to some extent) already translatable ?
Yes it is, it is Manual:Summary. No idea why these tags appear in one skin and not the other, but that's not the first time such thing happens. Mediawiki skins apparently do more than just skinning...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

bejant wrote:
bitacovir wrote:Why this tool bar does not show? How I can turn it on?
First you have to click the Move tool. Then to turn Relative Mode to On, click the tick box inside the Move dialog window.
I see. The option it is not shown at the beginning, it is shown once you click the base point to move the object. There is a step missing.

1)select the object
2) click move tool
3) click first on a point to move the object.
4) now you can see the new option Relative inside the Move dialog window. Then you can turn it as mode on.

Ok. Thanks

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6704 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 0c449d7e8f9b2b1fb93e3f8d1865e2f59d7ed253
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
__Vinz__

Post by __Vinz__ »

Hi Yorik,

Thanks a lot for this manual! I am a new FreeCAD user, learning it to design parts for 3D printing and the manual so far has been very helpful. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write it.

I am gathering some notes so as to update the manual when it is unclear for new users. I will surely have some questions and will use the forums accordingly.

Vincent

Here is my version info (Fedora 23):
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.Unknown
Build type: Unknown
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
ediloren

Post by ediloren »

Hi Yorik, all,

I finished my review of the manual. Overall I have 138 comments. After the first indication by Yorik about how to provide comments (.. do as you wish :) ), I opted for comments in the exported pdf version, as this was more handy for me. I would have inserted comments directly in gitbooks, but it seems that discussions are enabled, but inline comments no (it is an option that must be explicitly enabled, see the FAQ).
The file is too big to be attached to the post, you can find it at this link (note: to properly see the comments, you cannot view the document online, you need to download it and open it locally).

I also did not want to modify directly the wiki, for two reasons:

1) I felt that, as this was an effort by Yorik to have a consistent manual, he should review the comments and decide whether to accept them or not. If we start messing up with the manual in a 'distributed' fashion, I'm afraid we could lose the guiding principle "to try to keep something like one line of thought"

2) Which is master here? If we modify the wiki, then the gitbook version is NOT automatically updated. I guess that the reverse may hold. We need Yorik's view here. Do we abandon gitbook, or we use it as master?

I hope my review is useful, but don't be misled by the number of comments I had, it is a very good work and a step ahead in filling up one of the most wanted feature by newcomers - a good documentation.

Ciao
Enrico
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing job Enrico, thanks a lot!!! I'll review that these next days.

Ah, the book is not written on gitbook itself but on a linked github repo at https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD-manual Feel free to pull-request there too...

I'm also in the process of preparing a printed version, to publish on lulu.com (which allows to place it on amazon and barnes and noble too). The document is almost done, but I'd like to make it reviewed by a native english speaker who has experience in the publishing business. Anyone here knows such a person?

Lulu.com suggests around 30 USD if we print it in color, which I think would be nice... http://www.lulu.com/sell It will have around 190 pages. What do you guys think? Seems good?

About the wiki: I see the wiki version as a "fork". Indeed it will be hard/impossible to keep both the wiki and the original github version (not to mention the printed version) in sync. I think there is no harm if the wiki version gets edited and different, wikis have the contrary advantages of single-written pieces, good things might come out of that... And I'll keep the github version, so the "canonical" version will not be lost.
__Vinz__

Post by __Vinz__ »

Hi there,

I second what Enrico said, I think it would be useful to have a small description on how best to contribute updates to the manual (wiki edits, PR on gitbook, etc).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You guys decide (we could do a poll). I propose two options:

1) We decide to keep the gitbook and the wiki absolutely in sync. That means, for every edit to the wiki, a corresponding pull request must be made to https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD-manual (you need to create a github account, then press the "fork" button on the link I just gave, then do your edits on your fork, then do a pull request)

2) We consider the wiki as a fork. In any case, there will be no way to update the printed version, so there will be several versions out there anyway.

For me both options are valid. What do you say?
__Vinz__

Post by __Vinz__ »

Thanks for the proposal. I would phrase things differently: why was the content ported over to the Twiki? I have reread the thread and it seems this might have been because you wanted contributions/improvements. Does github prevent that? I think there should be only one place where the guide is hosted so that the sync or divergence issue does not occur.

You mentioned you want to publish a paper version (which is a good idea btw) so I think github should be the master. The issue then becomes how to best integrate the github content in the FreeCAD website so that there is a uniformity of style/CSS (which the wiki version brings). But I don't think the contents should be in two places.

Or is it because you _want_ to have both contents live different lives (like github for paper only, which you master, and wiki you contributed but is then maintained by the community).