The FreeCAD manual

Info about new implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
triplus
Posts: 4857
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby triplus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:54 pm

bejant wrote:I noticed that on page 46 the Sketcher Geometries and Constraints links all go the the Symmetric Constraint, except for the last one (the Lock Constraint).


Yeah i reported that already:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16534#p130739

But as no feedback was given i didn't report other small issues found beyond that.

P.S. As for the successful transition to Wiki i took a quick look and it is looking good.
jmaustpc
Posts: 8075
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Australia

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:02 pm

yorik wrote:Ok the manual is now 100% on the wiki!

Therefore, I propose to change the wiki main page. What about this: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :Main_Page

good idea Yorik. Its good for it to be easy to find as it will be a useful way to help a newbie start with the rather steep learning curve. :)
bejant
Posts: 4091
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby bejant » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:32 am

triplus wrote:Yeah i reported that already:

My apologies. I either overlooked that, or had forgotten I'd seen it.
My Part Design tutorials on YouTube (aimed at beginners).
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12077
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby NormandC » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:16 am

yorik wrote:Therefore, I propose to change the wiki main page. What about this: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sandbox:Main_Page

It looks nice, but why did you remove the table of contents section. It's the only place where (from the main page) a newcomer can easily find a link to the documentation in a different language. Please do not forget that the FreeCAD Manual is in English only.
User avatar
yorik
Site Admin
Posts: 8563
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby yorik » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:44 pm

NormandC wrote:It looks nice, but why did you remove the table of contents section. It's the only place where (from the main page) a newcomer can easily find a link to the documentation in a different language. Please do not forget that the FreeCAD Manual is in English only.


Hm yes, but with the translation system does it still make any sense? Isn't it more logical to simply switch to the desired language with the language bar at the bottom? But I agree there should be a kind of table of contents somewhere... But the current one needs a serious rework, half the pages are missing from it.
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12077
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby NormandC » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:04 am

yorik wrote:Hm yes, but with the translation system does it still make any sense? Isn't it more logical to simply switch to the desired language with the language bar at the bottom?

Okay, but your sandbox page does not have the language bar, which prompted my comment.

And I've said it before more than one time, and I will say it again: the placement at the bottom is counter-intuitive. When accessing the page for the first time, a user will expect a language switcher at the top, like for the official website. Even on my 1920x1200 display, I need to scroll down to see the language bar.
User avatar
yorik
Site Admin
Posts: 8563
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby yorik » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:20 pm

NormandC wrote:And I've said it before more than one time, and I will say it again: the placement at the bottom is counter-intuitive. When accessing the page for the first time, a user will expect a language switcher at the top, like for the official website. Even on my 1920x1200 display, I need to scroll down to see the language bar.


I know, but you are not asking for very easy things! :)
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12077
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby NormandC » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:16 pm

What's not easy in this?

FC_Main_Page_languages_01.png
FC_Main_Page_languages_01.png (65.93 KiB) Viewed 675 times


What I have been saying for I don't know how long is that from the start, the language bar should have been placed at the top where it is actually visible.

Now we'd have thousands of pages to fix. :|
User avatar
yorik
Site Admin
Posts: 8563
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby yorik » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:59 pm

I *might* have found a way to integrate the available languages to the top menu bar in the new skin. Will test soon.
bitacovir
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 am

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Postby bitacovir » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:33 am

Yorik. In the section Traditional 2D drafting, page 66. At the bottom you mention "Turn Relative mode on".
I can not find this command on the tool bars. Is this one?
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_Coordinates

Why this tool bar does not show? How I can turn it on?

OS: Windows 7
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6704 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 0c449d7e8f9b2b1fb93e3f8d1865e2f59d7ed253
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17