FreeCAD-Ship tutorials update

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sanguinariojoe

FreeCAD-Ship tutorials update

Post by sanguinariojoe »

Old FreeCAD-Ship tutorial has been update to new FreeCAD-Ship paradigm. Also a new tutorial about GZ curves computation has been created:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... 0_tutorial
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... l_%28II%29

Enjoy it!
Jose Luis Cercós Pita
psicofil

Re: FreeCAD-Ship tutorials update

Post by psicofil »

Great! Good Job...
Ing. Gomez Lucio
Scope Ingenieria (scopeingenieria.com)
emlaurent

Post by emlaurent »

Hello,

I am quite interested by your job and would like to use it in Freecad!
But how can we install it ?
I do not see it in the tutorial ... I do not understand well the git system....

thanks for the help
Emmanuel
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

emlaurent wrote:Hello,

I am quite interested by your job and would like to use it in Freecad!
But how can we install it ?
I do not see it in the tutorial ... I do not understand well the git system....

thanks for the help
Emmanuel
Hi Emmanuel

Good news is that you don't have to worry about installing FreeCAD-ship any more, it has been a part of mainline FreeCAD for a while now. Jose did originally start FreeCAD-ship as a separate project but his work was too good for that, he was invited to join his work with FreeCAD as a permanent Work Bench.

So just install FreeCAD 0.13 and you will have FreeCAD ship.

You haven't said what your O/S is, but if you are on a Ubuntu Linux variant just install the "daily" PPA for daily automatic updates, compiled by Ubuntu from our Git/master daily if there is any changes, which there often are.

If you do have to or want to compile from git master, it is not very complicated to use git for just that. I admit git can get very complicated but it's not complicated to just download master, Just follow the simple instructions on the FreeCAD wiki. Look towards the bottom of the index on the left, and you will see a link "compile FreeCAD", just click on that link. It will take you to this page where you can select your O/S
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... =Compiling

If you want to know more just start a new topic in the "help" Forum and someone will answer you quickly.

Have a good time FreeCADing, .......when you have finished your ship (if its a really flash pleasure yacht) I'll come for a spin!! :D

Jim
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

Hi Jose,
i just tried to understand the the tutorial and i have some suggestions to make it easier to understand for people (like me) who are not yet involved in ship design. I'd like to add that english is not my native language and that i gained all my nautical knowlage from a three day (optimist) sailing course at the age of 12. ;) (
1. In the picture FreeCAD-Ship-SignCriteria the x-axis should be red, the y-axis should be green and the z-axis should the blue.
As you stated that the geometry has to be complete, the port side of the ship should be present int he bottom half of the picture. (First i thought that it could be helpfull to use position lights to emphasise on the orientation of the y-axis.)
2. I had problems to find out the exact translations and explainations of your technical terms in my native language. I'd prefer to use the term 'port' instead of 'board' on the second page (like port (side) engine). I'm still not sure if i understood what 'amin frame' means. In think it is the german 'Hauptspant' which means main or biggest frame. I found the english translation 'main bulkhead' for this, but i doubt, that the biggest frame is necessarily a bulkhead. As i don't know if the biggest frame has the be half way the waterline length, im not sure about 'Midship section' either.
Maybe 'amin' is just a typo in your dictionary and it's simply 'main frame'. But there is the word 'amidships'.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Jose and Shoogen

Shoogen I've been in there fixing up typos and fixing the English terminology, there are some bits I was not to sure about so I left them, as you say "amin frame" may or may not be a technical term or a typo so I left it.

I must have been editing it at the same time you were reading it :) , so there may already be a few minor fixes, and spelling and typos fixed.

Its well after mid night here so I am off to bed, but I'll look up the points you noted and fix it up in a few hours. Post anything else you find and I'll fix that too.

Jose thanks for this great tutorial. There were just a few miss spellings and typos, miss ordered phrases, etc. but for a non-English speaker you have done very well. I tried to help some guys on the German/French forums, I am not sure how much I helped, though I did make Werner laugh :) but I am not sure if that was a good thing though. :?

So anyway I am more than happy to do what I can and leave you more time to do the "hard stuff". Since you are doing a PHD on ship design we are very lucky to have you contributing. But anyone (like me for example :) ) can tidy up your English! :D

I wondered if "amin frame" had anything to do with the word "amidship" which means :- at or near or toward the centre of a ship ?

Jim
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

jmaustpc wrote:I tried to help some guys on the German/French forums, I am not sure how much I helped, though I did make Werner laugh :) but I am not sure if that was a good thing though. :?
It was good idea to include the english version in your answer. Because sometimes the automatic translation is horrible.
From what i read so far another usefull 'origin' would be the intersection of base line and aft perpendicular.
The problem is that there is no single 'center'. And only Jose knows what he exactly chose as origin.
Last edited by shoogen on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
emlaurent

Post by emlaurent »

If you want to know more just start a new topic in the "help" Forum and someone will answer you quickly.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the help
I open another thread about it
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2836

emmanuel
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

though I did make Werner laugh but I am not sure if that was a good thing though.
That was because the Google translated sentence was ful of grammer errors and also the meaning was not obvious when reading it the first time. It was about the same quality as the auto-translated (German) content of MS's MSDN articles. Most of them are of so bad quality that they're completely useless. Then it's better to read the original English article to get its actual meaning.
sanguinariojoe

Post by sanguinariojoe »

Hey! How are you men?

Sorry for the delay, I have been too busy with other projects...

Jim! thanks for the improvements!!! You are the best!!! (Corrections is a good thing for me, i really need to improve my English)
In the picture FreeCAD-Ship-SignCriteria the x-axis should be red, the y-axis should be green and the z-axis should the blue.
OK! I will change it ASAP!
I'd prefer to use the term 'port' instead of 'board' on the second page (like port (side) engine)
Maybe port is better than board, you are right! I will fix it ASAP!
I'm still not sure if i understood what 'amin frame' means. In think it is the german 'Hauptspant' which means main or biggest frame. I found the english translation 'main bulkhead' for this, but i doubt, that the biggest frame is necessarily a bulkhead. As i don't know if the biggest frame has the be half way the waterline length, im not sure about 'Midship section' either.
Maybe 'amin' is just a typo in your dictionary and it's simply 'main frame'. But there is the word 'amidships'.
I think that 'Amin Frame' is the correct term due is a technical one (Naval terminology is a little bit stupid, but...). I think that is a old wooden ships term that refers to the principal transversal structure section, but now is simply midship section (you are right Jim), i.e. middle point between aft perpendicular and fw perpendicular.
From what i read so far another usefull 'origin' would be the intersection of base line and aft perpendicular.
The problem is that there is no single 'center'. And only Jose knows what he exactly chose as origin.
I selected the intersection between base line and amin frame for some technical reasons, but maybe the tutorial must be improved with the mean of some terms.

Thanks to all!!!