OpenSCAD module now in Master

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

OpenSCAD module now in Master

Post by jriegel »

Shoogens OpenSCAD module is now merged into master.

I think some testing and some small changes and its ready for the 0.13

Thanks to shoogen for that great module!
Stop whining - start coding!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: OpenSCAD module now in Master

Post by sliptonic »

This was example006 from the openscad embedded examples. I adjusted the transparency of the cube so the spheres are visible.

sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Objects that use the minkowski function give a syntax error when opening the csg file. I used this example from the openscad manual

Code: Select all

$fn=50;
minkowski()
{
 cube([10,10,1]);
 cylinder(r=2,h=1);
}
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

At first a like to add that this importer is Keiths project and that i only tried to pack it into a module.

since the development were sperated from FreeCAD until yesterday, i used github to keep track of found bugs. https://github.com/5263/FreeCAD/issues/
There is a issue for every OpenSCAD example file except for 001-005 and 011-015.
And please do me a favor, if you found a problem in example009 please to a little forum search to find the appropriate topic to describe the problem. Since example009 imposes a lot of different problems.

In example006 the main problem is the 'render' statement (https://github.com/5263/FreeCAD/issues/21). In order to mimic the OpenSCAD behavior it should render a 'mesh'. And there has been a lot of disscussion about how close the module should mimic OpenSCAD.
The minkowski sum imposes serious problems, because it doesn't have a counterpart in OCCT. Similar to glide, hull and subdiv. But its a widespread technique to filet edges using the minkowski statement in OpenSCAD.
EDIT:
minkowski statement should raise a not implemented warning and not a syntax error. A patch is available. https://github.com/5263/FreeCAD/commit/ ... 98a6ead1d4
thank you
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

Jurgen, there is a tipfeller in wix file:

src\WindowsInstaller\ModOpenSCAD.wxi

line 35:

<File Id="OpenSCADCommandspy" Name="OpenSCADCommandspy" DiskId="1" />
should be

<File Id="OpenSCADCommandspy" Name="OpenSCADCommands.py" DiskId="1" />
Regards,
Petar
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Fixed now.
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

OK, I have made win unstable with this - currently 7z file is up, and msi file is being uploaded.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Will see if the OpenSCAD module is running in the installation..

Ok, cerdits go to Keith.

Sometimes I get confused by all the people already contributing to FreeCAD! :)
Stop whining - start coding!
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

While most of the tools in the Menu are useful only for advanced users. There is a hidden feature that is worth knowing when testing the module.
If you go tho the preferences and enter the path to your OpenSCAD binary and restart FreeCAD you will see a command "Add OpenSCAD Element". This allows to enter OpenSCAD code directly to a multiline editbox in the task panel.
Which the checkobox 'as mesh' enabled you will add the OpenSCAD mesh output (as reference). This allows to visualy judge the result of the importer.
Additionaly if the path to the OpenSCAD binary is entered (when restarting FreeCAD) the .scad file extension will be registerd to the module.
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

I started documentation of the module
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... CAD_Module