Bore feature

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jrheinlaender

Bore feature

Post by jrheinlaender »

I created a new feature for making holes (standard, nonstandard, with and without thread, counterbored, countersunk etc.) Its on github jrheinlaender/FeatureBore and it is written in python.

Now I have a question for the native English speakers: Should the feature be called

bore
hole
borehole, bore-hole, bore hole
perforator :-)

Thanks for some enlightenment on this confusion!

And I just saw that the feature works great with Box, Cylinder etc. but if I sketch a pad of the same dimensions (!) it has tons of issues with the boolean operation... <
wmayer
Founder

Re: Bore feature

Post by wmayer »

Online translator says: bore hole and borehole

http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?la ... nt=&email=
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

Looks interesting, especially done in python!

Well done jrheinlaender once again!
jrheinlaender wrote:borehole, bore-hole, bore hole
Pretty much all have the same meaning. Bore holes tend to be used with drilling through earth. Then again a hole is not the same as being countersunk. I'd probably go with Bore, but that's just an opinion.
samsagax

Post by samsagax »

In SolidWorks it's called "hole wizard" or something like that. Maybe thinking about manufacturing it should be called "drill feature" don't you think?
raulshc

Post by raulshc »

In CATIA it's also called Hole. Searching in dictionary (British type) the best option seems be hole, because bore is more associated with drill. In design, there are Holes, in manufacturing, there are drills. This feature is part of design.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

In Pro/E, I think it's called a Hole feature.
steeveosteen

Post by steeveosteen »

Hello,

I have not looked the code yet but how do you store the thread and standard hole dimensions?
Do you use a file (xml type) or a DB?
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

Its hardcoded in the python. Reason see this thread (note that my favoured solution was a DB):

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3296
jcc242

Post by jcc242 »

Great work! I use this feature frequently in other software, glad to see it come to FreeCAD.

Name wise, my machinist and my design handbooks both call it a counterbore. Autodesk Inventor just calls it "Hole". I think any name would be good, especially if we have an intuitive icon to go with it.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

I really like this feature. You have done a great job with it.
Have you tried using it with a linear or polar pattern yet? I wasn't able to get that to work out for me. It seems that it is referencing itself, and not the parent part, but I might be doing things wrong.
Thanks for making this feature!